Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thankful Turkeys

I'm loving all the firsts in our new home.  I found this banner on a blog and ordered it from Nordstroms.  It may be my favorite fall decoration ever.  Simple and perfectly said... Thankful.  Each night at dinner we would each say something we were thankful for and write it on those cards.  We started really late but next year I plan on filling up the mantle with them.  We have SO very much to be thankful for. 
Talk started between Kadi and I way back in the summer about trying to spend Thanksgiving in Destin.  It couldn't have worked out any better. We headed out after Grandparent's Day on Tuesday.  Sisty, Granddaddy and Trace went first, about an hour later Mom and Dad left, Jimmy and I picked up Keatyn from school around 1:00 and headed out, then Andy and Kadi pulled up the rear after work.  It was like a congo line to Florida.  By midnight, everyone was there safe and sound.

Wednesday, my little family of 4 got very brave.  An impromptu bike ride turned into riding across the resort to Kadi's parents house where Nana, Papaw, Aunt Kadi, Uncle Andy, Otis and Zorra were staying.  I had total confidence in T.  He's an old pro on the bike, but Keatyn has only had hers about 2 months and has only been out of our driveway a handful of times.  But, if you're going to learn, there is no better place. It's now or never kid.
2.04 miles later...
We made it!!!  Jimmy and I rode back (my legs have never burned so bad) but we loaded the littles up in Papaw's car.  I was so proud of them!
Carol had the foresight enough to cover her beautiful almost white couch with sheets.  She knows her grand dogs and my children well. :)
It may have been 50 degrees outside, but the hot tub is always warm.  I couldn't believe Keatyn plunked herself down right in the middle of all those bikini clad women.  Ha!
Thanksgiving morning, watching the Macy's Day parade while Granddaddy searched for Black Friday deals online. 
We spent more time at the Wharf this trip than ever before.  It is one of my favorite places and is gorgeous during the holidays.


And this was before we ate Thanksgiving dinner.
Zorra's first Thanksgiving with our family.  Love her!

Although Carol's kitchen rivals Paula Deens, we decided there was no need to cook on Thanksgiving, so we let Winn Dixie do all the work.  I don't think anyone missed the turkey.




A little golf cart ride around the block with 2 kids and 2 dogs.  This could have gone so wrong.

I broke my normal rule of boycotting shopping on Thanksgiving Day.  If I had been at home, my rule would have stuck.  But alas, I found myself at Silver Sands when they opened at 6 p.m. Shame on me.  I also allowed my children to swim in extreme frigid temperatures when they plunged into the ocean while all sane people were bundled in sweatshirts and wincing when the wind blew.  See...vacation rules.

Speaking of breaking rules.  This guy just about got his car keyed. 

By my husband. 

OK buddy, I appreciate that you have a big, fancy BMW and all, but seriously?  It's Black Friday in one of the biggest outlet malls in the southeast.  People are parking blocks away and walking in the cold and dark (some of us at 2 A.M. :) and you decide to center your beemer between 2 spots on the 2nd row.  You're lucky someone didn't wait by your car and knock you over the head with their 50 lb Under Armour bag.  Boo!
Jimmy joined me for a bit (a short bit) then I ran him back to the condo, changed shoes, put on my sweats, grabbed a power snack and then went back.  I love me some deals! :)))

Friday, we spent the afternoon at the Wharf, bungy bouncing, zip lining and ice skating. 

Correction. The people in our party 7 and under did those things.  Us "older folk" happily watched and took pictures.


Trace finally got his double flip!  Yay!!
Keatyn lasted about 5 minutes ice skating.  She leaned too far on her trusty walker and flipped over head first.  The tall, scary guy you see behind her in the background (think Russell Brand on ice skates) is the rink bouncer and came to pick her up causing a meltdown of epic proportions.  He handed my sobbing, wet daughter over the wall to me, and she was done.  Luckily, they have a refund policy.
The fall... I can't believe I caught it on camera. Ha!
He did great!

After our adventures, we headed to Hammerheads for some dinner and sunset scenery.  Oysters and the largest alcoholic beverages I've ever seen. More of mine went in the sink than in my tummy.



Kadi and Andy had to head home Saturday morning to see some of her family that was in for the holiday and of course, watch the Iron Bowl.  Sorry Andy, that wasn't pretty.


Saturday morning snuggles...
Ice cream on the patio before heading to the beach. 
Jimmy was on a one-man-mission to see just how high he could fly the kid's shark kite.  He used the string it came with, then another 500 foot spool.  He figured it got it about 700 feet. He's not right.



It's SO high daddy!!



After the beach, the grands took the kiddos to thaw out in the heated pool and then went back to the house to eat all the leftovers before heading to meet Santa at the Wharf.  I had ill-fated illusions of my children dressed in their cute Christmasy outfits sitting on Santa's lap in front of that BEAUTIFUL tree. But, the reality of it was, everyone else on the Emerald Coast had the same plan.  And 2 hours of standing in line with my 2 children wasn't going to happen.  So I guess we will be visiting Santa at Northgate Mall for the 8th year in a row.  :(
I knew fireworks were coming.  It even said it on the flyer.  I just assumed it would be the finale, and I'd have prepared my youngest by then.  Imagine our surprise when they went off  RIGHT BEHIND US minutes after Santa's arrival.  Keatyn was not pleased.


She was still traumatized (and permanently wrapped around my neck) but we managed to get a few pictures in front of the tree.  I hadn't planned on being in them (obviously) or I'd have worn something besides a hat and sweatpants.  :)

 


Mom and dad headed home the next day.    That was our plan, but we got derailed by the 70 degree weather and the fact that 1/3 of Trace's class had the flu or a virus.  Nothing will make you want to hibernate at the beach until Spring than a text from the teacher saying that.  Ugh...

We decided to stay and play, and let him play hooky from school on Monday.  When I sheepishly texted Mrs. Sims to tell her, questioning whether I was a horrible parent or the best mom ever, she replied...

 "Awwww. You are such good parents,  School will be here
 when you return.  However, these wonderful moments should
 be taken advantage of and cherished as priceless memories." 

 I couldn't have said it better myself!  Then she asked him to bring home a bag of Destin sand for their adjective study and said he was now legitimate. :)  She is so amazing!

Off to the beach!
We brought 2 boxes of crackers to feed the birds.  My crazy husband let one take it out of his mouth.  I squealed and ran every time I got swarmed and he was practically kissing them.  Lol!
 

"It is so cold!"
You can't tell, but they're hugging.  So sweet, and so rare.

For our last dinner, we went to Tommy Bahamas where the kids thoroughly enjoyed the little umbrellas in their Sprites. Who knew?
The courtyard is full of trees representing different charities.  They are beautiful and so very special.  There was a breast cancer tree with pink lights that Keatyn loved.  They had a red, white, and blue one for Wounded Warriors, and a Children's Advocacy tree.  Such a great cause and a reminder of what this season is about!



 



 
Monday morning, the party was over and it was time to head back to reality.  Per Mrs. Sim's instructions, Trace and I ran down that boardwalk one last time to gather some sand to take home.  I adore my little man!
,
When we pulled out, it was 10:30 a.m., not a cloud in the sky, and 72 degrees.  Ugh...that's hard to leave, especially on December 1st.  God willing, our family will be back for many more Thanksgivings in paradise!

0 comments: