Monday, February 9, 2015

Puppy Love

 
**Prepare to see an OB-noxious amount of cute puppy pictures.  I apologize in advance...

Our sweet addition was born on December 5, 2014 and was appropriately given the kennel name "Chase."  That pretty much was the deciding factor after a lot of "should we/ shouldn't we's?"   

Saturday, January 24th was Gotcha Day. 

He was 7 weeks and 1 day old and ready for his new home.  We made the trip up to Manchester still working on a name.  We had a running list going... Deuce (since he was Chase #2) Timber, Dash, Cajun, Hank  along with a lot of others that had been eliminated along the 4 week wait.  Trace REALLY wanted to be the one to name him.  It was very sweet that he felt so honored and proud to choose his name.  About an hour into the trip he finally decided on "Timber." 

When we saw a picture of him after he was born, his coloring was liver and white so we looked at a lot of "brown" names like Dutch, Chaco, Timber and so on.  Timber was one that stuck and I love it.  I love it even more that Trace was the one that picked it. 

We pulled up to the Stoneriver Kennel which appropriately sat on "Brittany Lane."  How perfect.  It was obvious she was a Brittany lover and we knew we had picked the right place.


 Ms. Rosemary adored her dogs. 
She handed him over and it was love at first sight.


 




And then we had the 1.5 hour drive back to Chattanooga with me sitting between the kids shuttling the puppy back and forth between them.  He wasn't quite sure what was happening but he couldn't have been any sweeter.

 Sisty and Granddaddy met us at home and kept him while we went to PetSmart and got all of his things.  He was worn out from his big trip!

 First night at home...

 I had the same anxiety that would come over me when my babies were newborns as nighttime approached.  You didn't know what the night would hold. Would he sleep a wink, would he cry all night long, would he pee everywhere? 

Well... the crate didn't work the first night without his litter mates.  We tried to put him in the crate in Jimmy's office when we went to bed and I've never in my life heard such pitiful cries!  There was NO way either one of us where going to do that to him.  So he slept (and continues to sleep) on a doggie bed in our bedroom floor.  I'm totally OK with him never sleeping in his crate, and am honestly just waiting on him to get big enough to sleep on one of our beds without worrying about him falling off.  Yes, we are OK with that too.  I'm such a sucker!
 The next day we took him to my parents and he peed and pooped in their house just like his own ;)


 He is a biter, a nipper, and loves nothing more than to grab the bottom of your robe or nightgown as you're walking by and take a swing.  The kids have found refuge on the sofa and the steps because he can't get to them there.  We are hoping that puppy biting wears off quickly and he learns to cuddle a little more.
 Many nights I've been standing in my frozen yard at 2 A.M. with my bathrobe, parka, and Uggs on waiting on him to tickle and poo.  At least when you're nursing babies in the middle of the night, you're snuggled up in your warm bed under the covers.  ha!
 The first morning I had him alone, I texted this picture to Jimmy.  He crawled up behind my head and I'm pretty sure that was his little du danky I felt in my ear.  Ha!!





 This didn't go well.  A failed attempt to get a picture of the 3 of them.  Keatyn ended up with a big scratch down her face.  The first of many...
 His first bath.  He started paddling before his little paws ever hit the water.  It was adorable!


 We have been trying to take him in the car on some short trips to get him used to riding.  So far, it's not his favorite thing but he's getting better.  Loved this one!
He's already grown and changed so much and has completely stolen my heart!  He fits right in perfectly with this wild, hyper bunch.  I've even threatened to give him some of Trace's ADHD meds!  Jimmy and I look at each other almost everyday and say... "Boy, we have our hands full!"  Might as well add a little, cute puppy to the chaos!  What can it hurt?

0 comments: