Thursday, October 1, 2015

This is 40

So, this trip.  This trip had been planned in our minds for years.  I never really thought we'd pull it off.  I mean, we are all mothers, they all have BIG jobs and are very important people ;) and surely one of our many children would get sick, or a crisis at work would come up, or a natural disaster.  Something, something would ruin this trip.  But it didn't.  And we went.  And as the sign says... it was FABULOUS!  
I love these women.  They have stood by me through 20 years of friendship.  We all met in college and didn't necessarily hang out together there.  But after college, we found this little tribe and they have been such a blessing to me ever since.
 
The Wednesday morning we were leaving, my dad's best friend, Jeff, died of prostate cancer.  He had fought for 5 long years and although it was expected, it broke our hearts.  I had been praying for months that this wouldn't happen while I was gone, but as we know in life, God sometimes has other plans.  He needed him home.  I cried all morning while I made food to take on the trip.  I couldn't pull myself together.  It hurt so much to not be here for my dad while he said goodbye to Jeff.  When we got in the car, I told the girls about what happened and pulled out a picture of Jeff, as I remember him.  Not sick and thin and gray headed, but the Jeff I remember dancing at my wedding, trying to pay the band to play longer because he was having so much fun.  He was all about friends and golf trips and fun.  I asked the girls if we could dedicate our trip to him.  We sent this picture to my dad.

Day 1-
We got to the condo about 1:30 a.m. and crawled into bed, exhausted.  The next morning, we all slept past 7, which is a HUGE deal when you have kids, then ate breakfast and headed to the Serenity by the Sea Spa.  Hello... heaven. 
My sweet brother and sis-in-law bought me a spa package for my 40th but I didn't use it when we were down in May because I didn't want to take a day away from the family.  When I asked the girls if they wanted to go, everyone jumped on board.  How could you not?  
We were there all morning getting massages, facials, mani/pedis, sipping Mimosas in the hot tub... 
and then spent the afternoon on the pool deck overlooking the ocean.  Perfection.  This view, with no sand and a tiki bar and bathroom just feet from you.  
  
If you know Jill, you know she is a complete germ-a-phobe, so I was shocked when I looked over and she was laying on the wet concrete slab by the pool where everyone walks.  Can you say relaxed?  And maybe a little too much tiki bar? 
We got back to the condo and Iris made her famous drink.  We named it something, something mint and cucumber.  I don't know, but it was perfection.  Then we all got ready and went to AJ's for dinner and dancing.
 
These ladies wanted crab legs, and they didn't disappoint. 
 
 
They had a great band, and while I'm the D.D. of the group and pulled up a stool, everyone else let loose.  So. much. fun! 
 




Cutie alert.  We had been admiring this boys arms all night.  I use the word "boy" because when we finally met him, we found out he was 25.  LOL!!  Wow, did we feel old.  He tried to sound really surprised when we told him we were all 40.  We could technically be his mother.  Sigh.

Day 2: Headed to the beach...
 


I don't remember the last time I sat at the beach for much longer than 10 minutes in a row.  And as any mother knows, even if you are fortunate enough to be sitting, you are watching. Intently.  There is NO relaxing with kids at the ocean.  So imagine our delight to lay and talk and close our eyes.  But I'll admit, I couldn't help look around at all the littles running around and miss my babies!

I have never seen the water so clear or so calm as it was that weekend.  We literally stood out waist deep and talked without being knocked.  It was gorgeous!





We got dressed that night and went to the Baytowne Wharf to eat at Graffittis.  So good!
 






And a little more nightlife.  It was so much fun, even if we were the elders of the crowd.

Day 3: We hit the outlet mall early that morning and then spent the afternoon back on the beach.  The night life apparently wore Misty out because she slept for 4 hours while we were gone.  lol!
 
We pulled up our towels (because the cabana guy came and took our beloved chairs and
 umbrellas :( and watched a beautiful beach wedding.


And our last night there, we perfected our selfies (thank you Leslie) and headed back to the Wharf for dinner at Poppy's.







We toasted Jeff with a round of Top Shelf Margaritas since that was his signature drink.  (I have no idea what happened to that pictures.)

 


My sweet friend, Lesley, had these plates at our Mom's Group party and let me bring the leftovers.  So cute!
Sunday morning, we packed up and headed home. 
It was truly a perfect trip from start to finish.  There is already talk of doing it again next year.  Not sure exactly what excuse we will give the hubbies this time but I'm sure we will come up with something! ;)
 
 

 

 

 



 



 







 

 

 

 



 

 

 

0 comments: