Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Holiday Hodgepodge


Have you ever taken a random picture without really thinking about it and then later, been so thankful you did? I always forget to bring my camera to our family dinners, but for some reason, God managed to get my camera into my bag that morning.

I took this picture of my Grandmother (Nanny) and my Uncle Hutch on Thanksgiving Day. It was the last picture taken of the two together.

My Uncle was called home for Christmas early on Friday morning. Although he was 86 (a VERY young 86) he was in good health and very active, so it came as quite a shock to us all. Christmas is never easy when you've lost someone you love, but particularly when it happens during the season itself. Our family gatherings will never be the same without him, but we know he has gone to a better place and for that we are grateful.

We love and miss you Hutch!

************************************************************************************
Christmas is in full swing around here and Trace is catching the spirit. I am trying so hard to make him understand the "true" meaning of the season by overloading every table in our home with nativity scenes.

He has become very intrigued with one that sits in my foyer (luckily, the only wooden one!) He arranges and rearranges them constantly, and I've heard him have "meaningful" conversations with the Baby Jesus. One particular conversation included Uniqua and Tyrone from the Backyardigans. He was instructing them to be quiet so that Baby Jesus could sleep! ha!

We have started 2 new traditions around here. I saw on Stephanie Blackiston's blog that they have a choo-choo train set running under their Christmas tree. You can tell that is a momma of 3 boys! Gifts are nice under the tree, but a little boy would much rather see his train. I honestly think Trace could have slept all night laying in the floor, listening to that train whistle.
Much to his daddy's dismay, the track is always off and it never fails that the train derails when it gets behind the tree. Jimmy's Christmas spirit has been tested a bit by our new tradition! ha!
It was bedtime, but he just couldn't tear himself away!
Then our "Elf on a Shelf" was born. We named him Cheeky and he has become like a part of the family! I let Trace "hold" him before I read the book, in which it clearly says you are not allowed to touch the elf... oops! ALWAYS read the directions first, Mom!
The snow was a hit! I'm ashamed to say I was VERY unprepared with the appropriate "winter gear", so we had to enjoy it from the inside... I know, I know... that's terrible! But Granddaddy built this little snowman from the snow on his car and sat it on the deck. He lasted for a few days before his head fell off.
Ginger and Trace played a little "Cat and Mouse" game under the dining room table. She is a sucker for food and Trace has learned to tease.
It didn't last long though...and then they made up with a nap in the beanbag.
We saw Santa and it went MUCH better than last year! Some may remember...
Although we didn't go to the mall dressed or prepared to meet the big guy, there happened to be no line so we asked Trace if he wanted to sit in Santa's lap, to which he replied, "Sure!"

We seized the moment!
That in a nutshell is what has been going on around here.

Hope you are enjoying your holiday season!

2 comments:

Amanda O'Rear said...

I am sorry to hear about your Uncle and am so glad you got that picture. I always try to capture everyone when we have family gatherings but most times time in itself gets away from me..and I don't get the pics I want. That is wonderful you did!

The other pics are so cute!! Looks alot like Christmas around your house. You have a beautiful family!

Andi said...

Sooooooo inquiring minds want to know...Did Cheeky lose his magic??? Or is he still able to fly back to the North Pole with the days info for Santa??? We are still addressing ours as Elf, so at least the name cat is gone for now and well yours has a name....love the train set. What a great idea. Ours would be apart in about .2 seconds. And I must say that we too try to include the true meaning of Christmas during our talks but isn't it so fun watching it through our kids eyes. Every little thing Addi just gets so mesmerized in. I've always LOVED Christmas but it just doesn't get any better does it?