Saturday, June 26, 2010

Who knew my thumb was green?

My yard has often been referred to as "the place plants come to die."

You name it, I've killed it.

Knockout roses, countless hydrangeas, hibiscus, indoor funeral plants, every Easter Lilly I've ever owned, an entire row of azaleas (I mean, how do you kill an azalea, can't those things grow in Antarctica?)

Right now, I have a geranium on life support on the back deck.

Jimmy just groans every spring when I tell him I'm off to the nursery.

I've always blamed it on our #@*% red clay... until I converted to pots and began shelling out the big bucks for Miracle Grow Potting Soil.

Now I know whose to blame.

Currently, this is the condition of my flowers in the front yard...

One, beautiful, bountiful sweet potato vine...
The other... dead.
I don't understand. It is the exact same blend of plants, planted in the same soil on the same day, they get the same amount of sun and water and live only 3 feet apart, yet...
(Yes, I know we need to weed-eat around the planters. I'll talk to my yard man ;)

Luckily, Jimmy's decision to bear children with me was not based on my ability to grow flowers... if that had been the "big" test, procreation would never have happened.

SOOOO, you can imagine my utter amazement at this...
and every other night since...
I have never seen such copious amounts of squash, zucchini, and cucumbers in my life, much less all over my countertops.

They are everywhere. I think we planted a few too many.

I cringe everytime I see Jimmy walk through the back door, smelling of bug spray and carrying a Bi-Lo bag. I have prepared these suckers every way I know how, and I'm all out of ideas. I'm not a "canner" but I have 2 gallon size baggies in my freezer FULL of sliced squash and zucchini.

If I've seen you lately, I've probably greeted you with a hug and a bag of veggies. Trace's teacher's at school are stocked for the rest of the summer. I've thought about seeing if they can comp his tuition. ha!

Or maybe I'll just make him stand at the end of the driveway, with a sign and a table. He's cute enough... I think he could sell a few!

And OH. MY. WORD. the tomatoes haven't even started yet...

1 comments:

SDT said...

I feel your vegie pain. I took a whole basket of tomatoes to work today and then picked a whole 'nother basket tonight. I like it though. I'm teaching Jack to share by giving them to our neighbors. Good luck with your potato vine. I can't grow cukes or squash hardly at all. We got 3 squash this year then all the vines died.