Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lordy Lordy Daddy's 40!

Jimmy turned the big 4-0 on Sunday and I couldn't let it slide by without a little corny ribbing...

After that, I'm a little fearful of what will happen in 5 years when I turn 40. I did the sign on Friday, and on Saturday Jimmy was fishing a tournament and started getting texts from various people saying basically, "Like the sign, Happy Birthday!" He had no idea what they were talking about but quickly concluded who was behind it. Our preacher even called to give him a hard time.

Strangely, I can remember as a teenager when both of my parents turned 40, which proves yet again just how old I am to be having a baby... but hey, at least I'm not 40 (ha... sorry dear!)

I took Trace to River City Pottery last week to make Jimmy a "memorable" birthday gift that he can always keep (until it smashes into a million pieces on my tile floor). If you've ever met my child, you probably appropriately cringed when I said "Trace" and "River City Pottery" in the same sentence.

Think Bull in a China Shop...that was my morning.

My mom offered to accompany us, and I figured since my brother was once much like my little "enthusiastic" man, she would know how to tame and keep down the devastation. We left an hour later with a half painted, partially wet coffee mug, and extremely high blood pressure! I have to take it back to be glazed and fired, since I waited to late to start :(
You can't see the walls of the store in the pictures, but they were covered with shelves and shelves of various pottery you can paint. The mug he chose was $15, so I spent the entire morning mentally calculating how much this birthday gift would cost me if he dumped over an entire shelf while he made countless, unnecessary trips back to the paint supply counter and hairdryer.
His attempt at painting right handed... he's a lefty like his Mama.

He stenciled a fish on one side, and then the lady put his handprint on the other. I highly recommend that place for a special gift for someone... just not with a 3-year-old boy!
On our way home from picking up Daddy's ice cream cake. He got a teaser cup of Wild n' Crazy sorbet.
So, I decided back in March, to surprise Jimmy for his 40th with a trip to New York City. He has never been and I have a good childhood friend who used to work at one of the hotels there and helped me plan every part of it! Diane was WONDERFUL and I couldn't have done it without her. It is so nice having an insider view to a place like that. I can't tell you the countless e-mails we sent in secret making arrangements.

Even more surprising was that I was able to keep it a secret from him until his birthday. I gave him this book/card I made that sang the Sinatra song "New York, New York" and then gave him a file folder with plane tickets, tickets for an Adirondack sunset cruise, double decker bus tours flyers, and dinner reservations in it. We are leaving early Sunday morning and get back late Tuesday night... it will be a quick trip, but hopefully a memorable one!

Trace's card to Daddy. The top is a ladybug, middle are triangles he cut out, and the bottom is a boat???
He "signed" the card. He made several attempts at the c and e but finally got it... sorta.
That night we went to Jim and Sylvia's for a low-country boil. I can't believe I didn't get a picture of the mound of shrimp, potatoes, sausage, corn, carrots, and onions... it was delicious!!
After about the 7th attempt of spitting/blowing out the candles of Daddy's cake, Jimmy decided if it was still going to be edible he better do it himself.
Ah... finally!
I wish this picture were clearer but it was dark and I was taking it from far away. My dad drove his boat up to Jimmy's parents house but had to anchor it out in the lake instead of tying it up to their dock because of so much boat traffic. So my dad decided to use Trace's float to paddle himself back out to his boat and then pull in to get my mom. It was hilarious!! The float was so high that he had to lay on his stomach and his fingertips and toes barely touched the water. He finally made it and climbed in after much effort.
All in all, I think Jimmy had a great birthday and got a few good surprises. Can't wait for our trip this weekend... pictures to follow!!!

2 comments:

Trinity said...

So you did the sign!!!! I thought it was your dad! That makes it even funnier!

Jen said...

A BIG Happy 40th to Jimmy!! The sign was great! Hope you have an amazing time in NYC! It's one place I would love to go! Does he know about all of the stores there? ;) I know it's tough leaving your baby, but I'm sure he's being spoiled right! (Miller informed me that you can be spoiled right, instead of rotten!) LOL! Many birthday blessings to your hubby!