Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tickled Pink!


As I type this, I'm still in shock. This is the video from the doctors office the other day when the ultrasound tech whispered to Trace what the baby was...



What... huh... say that again... are you sure????

If you don't know already, this will be the first female Cofer born on Jimmy's side of the family in about 130 years. His grandfather, Frank, lost his parents at an early age so we aren't sure of the history farther back than that, but the last 12 Cofers, for 4 generations, have all been males. So... you can imagine our shock when we saw in writing, "I'm a girl!!!!" on the ultrasound picture.

I never even let myself think about it, because honestly ALL that matters is a HEALTHY baby. Having a girl was just an unexpected bonus!

I am thrilled for Sylvia and Jim (Jimmy's parents). I know how much Sylvia would love a little girl to teach to cook and sew and decorate. She is so talented and has so much to share! Jimmy is an only child, so this was kinda their last chance... there's no kinda about it, this was their last chance. :)

A couple of weeks ago, she lost her close friend Patti Wilde unexpectedly. Patti was a girlie girl to the core. If you looked up "girl" in the dictionary, Patti's picture would have been there holding her precious Yorkie, Bijou. From her hair to her nails to her clothes to her makeup, she did it all up right!

She had one of the kindest, Godliest heart of anyone I know. She threw me a beautiful baby shower when I was pregnant with Trace. And although she was always partial to little girl babies and frilly things (having helped raise a much younger sister and 2 nieces, that was all she knew) she managed to make my "blue" themed shower what only Patti could make it! It was so special.

The last time I saw Patti was about a year and a half ago when Trace and I met her and Sylvia in a parking lot for a quick visit before they went to eat dinner. She climbed in my backseat, and complete joy radiated her face when she saw my "boy". I will never forget her laying one hand on his little leg as she stretched her other towards heaven and said the most amazing prayer over him. A mother never forgets someone who prays over her child... it is a beautiful sight.

(On a funny note, Sylvia and I still get tickled that in the middle of her heartfelt prayer, as her hand was raised to the sky, Trace leans up in his car seat and gives her a hardy high 5... she never skipped a beat.)

Anyway, one thing that really bothered Sylvia after Patti died was that she didn't get to tell her I was pregnant again. I assured her that Patti already knew, and that if she had anything to do with it, when she got to heaven, she'd make sure this baby was a GIRL!!

I have laughed about all the "think pink" campaigners who have vigilantly hoped for a girl, all along thinking their efforts were in vain... we just don't have girls. I assured Jimmy it was indeed his and not the mail mans, so let's hope she looks just like him! ha!

I got my first "girlie" gift about 12 hours after we told our parents. My mom's best friend, Jane, put 2 frilly burp clothes on the office door before 7 a.m. the next morning. My cousin Marilyn brought us the sweetest "Little Sister" onesie and bib from Washington DC, and then my dad showed up the other day with a pink camoflauge outfit with matching bag. The bib said "Little Deer" on it. Someone's going to have him wrapped around her little finger quickly!

We are truly blessed and SO excited! Will update soon with pictures of my BULGING belly!

0 comments: