Friday, October 8, 2010

Nesting...

It's happening.

Actually, it started happening around midnight on June 7th.

Why is it that when there's a bun in the oven, your brain is suddenly overloaded with ideas and projects your body doesn't have the energy nor manpower to complete?

Since the moment I found out I was pregnant, I have been plotting... planning how to make this baby best fit into our home. It is so true what they say. It's like something takes over your mind and you spend sleepless nights thinking about shelving and organizers, arranging furniture and cleaning out pantries.

First, I decided within a matter of minutes that we needed a new house. Not newer, not bigger, not better... just different. I became obsessed with driving and scouring Hixson for the perfect house in a flat neighborhood, in the school zone I wanted, with a fenceable, level backyard.

Jimmy lovingly discouraged me at first... then when I began dragging him around, looking at houses, peeking in windows, and basically stalking neighborhoods, he reminded me (a little less lovingly) that we had built our home to specifically accommodate his business equipment and hobby toys with an unfinished basement and multiple garages.

Oh yeah, I remember that.

So my hormone fueled nesting obsession turned to converting his office (right off the kitchen) into a playroom for the kids. We have a big bonus room upstairs but Trace rarely goes up there by himself to play, therefore the majority of his toys end up where???

In my living room.

I pictured my living room (already cluttered with train tracks and a 225 piece Tinker Toy set) with a mini kitchen playset, barbie dolls and piles of coloring books.

It took a few weeks of convincing, but after I used the angle that he would be gaining a "man cave" with a couch and TV, lots of extra square footage, and an entire floor separating him from his beloved wife and children... he agreed!

From the minute I got his reluctant OK, I have been on-line picking out the exact "organizing" shelf unit from IKEA that I want to line the big wall of the "new playroom". Of course, the 3 deer heads looming there now will have to be relocated to the new office/man cave... somehow dead deer heads and baby's playrooms just don't go together.

In typical "me" fashion, I was ready to have this all done yesterday.

Boy, he knows how to squelch my fire. "Hon, you know hunting season is coming up so we will just wait until after that to do all of this."

Seriously, does he know who he's talking to? Does he know how HUGE, miserable and cranky I will be by the end of hunting season?

I had already planned in my mind a little family trip for fall break to the Atlanta Zoo on the way to IKEA (and possibly dessert at the Cheesecake Factory).

I will keep pecking (nagging) away and hopefully it will get done before there is yet another deer head to be hung in his "office".

I've already started thinking about what I can do during those long wintry weeks we'll be quarantined in our house with a newborn. I'm gonna recycle the curtains and a painting from his old office to put in our bedroom, which naturally means the walls will have to be repainted to match.

And probably the bathroom too. See how one thing just leads to another...

This nesting thing is exhausting!

0 comments: