Monday, November 1, 2010

BOO!

Here I sit.

It's the morning after Halloween. The sky is black, my house is quiet, the boys are sleeping, yet here I sit... since 5 a.m, eating a day old Sonic chili-cheese coney and Trace's Halloween candy.

Strange how this keeps happening to me. I got up to use the bathroom, got some water, check on and cover up Trace (who always manages to be all the way at the foot of his bed, huddled in a little ball, completely uncovered) and then I can't go back to sleep.

Maybe the good Lord is just preparing my body for what is coming. It's been nearly 4 years since I was up all night nursing a newborn... and I've honestly tried to block that sleep deprived time out of my memory. This must be his gentle reminder from above.

Maybe I'll get lucky today and catch a nap.

Wait... I forgot, Trace doesn't take naps anymore.

Oh joy.
********************************************************************
Our weekend was filled with friends, family, food and fun... like any good Halloween should be.

Friday night, we had Trace's school party complete with bouncy houses,...

I'll stop right there.

That was a complete party in itself for him. I literally watched that tiny crocodile head bounce for 45 minutes without a moments pause while Jimmy and I mingled and ate in peace.

I'm thinking of installing one of these in my front yard.
Trace and sweet Kate...
She should be in a magazine... beautiful!
God bless Kate. She tried so hard to get Trace to play "pin the nose on the pumpkin" with her.

He had no interest. (and apparently, no clue)
Maybe next year Kate.
Just stick to the bouncy house for now son.

One of the youth helpers at the party, turned out to be a former student of mine. It was SO good to see Kiana. She is now in middle school (yes, I'm old) and fawned all over Trace. Her and her sister now live at Bethel and their younger sister that I also taught, Nichaela, is living with someone else. Obviously, the years since I've seen them last have been hard. It breaks my heart for her and her family. I pray they will be reunited soon.
At the end of the evening, Trace somehow managed to climb out of the car on his own two feet, stumble into the kitchen, unzip and pull his crocodile suit down to his ankles before declaring, "Daddy, I think I'm gonna need you to carry me upstairs." That baby was beyond tired.

Sunday night we had our 2nd annual trick or treating party at my cousin Carrie's house. I found my old Cat in the Hat costume in the closet from my first grade years and thought... since it's not a far cry from my staple uniform these days of yoga pants and the largest t-shirt I can find, why not get into the spirit.

On the way to their house, Keith called and asked if we could stop and get paper plates.
Of course, Jimmy made me go in...
While getting the boys in their Halloween gear I suddenly hear, "Quick, hurry, grab a camera... this won't last long!" I snapped this shot of "Robin" seconds before his mask was ripped off, never to be worn again.
Wolverine, Batman and Robin, Crocodile Dundee and the Cat in the Hat...
Love these boys!
Thank goodness for grandfathers...


and Uncs!

"Yes mom, we only rang the doorbell once, did not go charging into the house or ask for more candy, and we'll say thank you when we're done."
Our entourage...
It truly takes a village to take our wild indians trick or treating.

At one point, the boys had run themselves to the point of exhaustion. After many falls (luckily only in yards, not on pavement) and a very steep hill, Trace exclaims, "Mommy, here comes the hot!" as he pulls the crocodile head off and is ready to strip down to his Thomas undies in the middle of the street. He knows how to "drama it up" to get a sip of daddy's diet coke.

You'd have thought someone would have packed those poor kids some bottled water!

Our last stop of the night was Nanny's. Bless her heart, she was already in her PJ's settled in to watch Desperate Housewives when we came busting in. But we had to get our annual Halloween pic with our Nanny.
It was a great Halloween, and plans have already begun for next year's festivities. It involves Jimmy's truck, a 14 foot trailer, several bales of hay and strings of orange lights. Now that's trick or treating in luxury!

0 comments: