Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Gastons have grown...

Roughly 80+ years ago, 3 sisters were born... Margaret, Sue, and Sarah (who quickly became known as Tootsie.) They are all now celebrating Christmas together in heaven, but the legacy these Gaston girls left behind lives on. Three generations gathered to celebrate Christmas at my house this year. Through stories of scooterpooping 10 miles out of the way to save 20 cents on a watermelon, to the family favorite stuffed celery recipes, they were still very present in our holiday celebration.

Some pre-party pictures...









When we decided to do this at my house, I immediately thought of getting a Santa for the kids. I have very vivid memories of Johnny Askew dressing up and bounding through the door dressed as St. Nick when my generation was young. I wanted to recreate those same memories for our babies.
Jimmy asked his buddy Fred if he would play Santa and he jumped at the chance. He was absolutely the first person that came to mind, and he was perfect! What wasn't so perfect however, was the $35 Santa suit I rented from the costume shop. I didn't see it, but according to Fred it was P.I.T.I.F.U.L!! So, being the awesome guy that he is, he went to his church and borrowed their's last minute. He looked amazing!

Lucas, Cohen, and Cole were not big fans of Santa (as was Keatyn) and chose to stay in the playroom while he visited. But the big guys loved him and the little gifts he brought them.
Bless her heart. The things we do to our children!

This may be my favorite picture of all time. I snapped this just as Santa was walking out the door!



I think this was the only picture with sweet Lucas in it. He rarely left this room. He was in a Thomas the Train trance all night.


I hope this family tradition continues forever, as more and more are added to the mix. This is truly what the Christmas season is all about! It is certainly not the same without the ones we've lost, but I think they would be proud!





0 comments: