Sunday, February 7, 2010

Happy Birthday Trace

Dear Trace,

My hope is that someday you will look back at your "baby book blog" and enjoy all of the pictures and memories of your childhood that I tried to capture and share. But I couldn't let this day, your birthday, go by without telling you how I am feeling.

Three years ago today, my world changed forever. All my life, I had dreamed of having a baby, of being someone's mommy. The anticipation of waiting for you, planning for you, feeling you grow inside of me still couldn't prepare my heart for the love that I felt the minute Dr. Adams laid you in my arms for the first time. Everyday since then, has been a gift. You have brought more joy to your Daddy and I than you will ever know.

Sometimes at night, I still watch you while you sleep and I pray that Jesus keeps you safe and healthy, that he guides and directs us as we raise you, that you always know how very loved you are, and I pray for your heart. That it will come to know and love the Lord, because I believe, son, that is the only way to true peace and happiness.

You are growing much too fast for me. I sometimes ache to rewind the clock and start all over again. But I know I can't, so I will try my best to capture and enjoy every minute. As the sign says above your bedroom door, you are my dream come true...

Happy Birthday!
I love you,
Mommy



The Party

We celebrated Trace's 3rd birthday on Saturday with our family. Jimmy's parents kindly offered to host at their house, and it turned out to be the perfect party place. (I do not exaggerate when I say, I have the best in-laws in the world... they are SO good to me!)

Sylvia's family from Alabama couldn't come for health reasons and really busy schedules and we missed them terribly. No party is ever complete without the Alabama crew, but we will hopefully see them all soon.

Here are some pictures...


Getting a birthday smooch from Nanny
My dad's 60th birthday was this week also so we added his name to the cake but just opted for 6 candles! ha!

When I asked Trace what he wanted on his cake, he thought for a minute and then said, "Dorothy" (He LOVES the Wizard of Oz). I told my cousin Carrie, I just couldn't get my son a birthday cake with a girl in a white and blue gingham dress and ruby red slippers... we went with his second choice, Thomas.
Dad opening his new Uggs

The littlest party goer, Lucas... I could just eat him with a spoon!




Nana and Trace doing a birthday dance
Abram, Nalin and Trace singing Happy Birthday
Uncle Andy gets a sweet hug from Abram
Although there were only 4 kids there, I was worried they wouldn't have anything fun to do... no bouncy things, no pony rides, no Chuck E Cheese. Apparently, an empty hot tub and a candy filled pinata in the basement are all you need for hours of entertainment.




I hope he had a wonderful birthday party and a special thanks to Granddaddy and Sisty for letting us invade their home.

4 comments:

Amanda O'Rear said...

Ok, your birthday letter made me cry....only because I think they same way you do. It is both amazing and heart breaking watching your babies grow up. They are our little miracles, our sweet gifts from God!!

So glad he had a good birthday. Looked like lots of fun was had!!!

Claire said...

Sniff, sniff Heidi. I am tearing up just thinking about how quickly time passes.

Good call on the cake, and by the way, I love your hair. Looks great.

Happy Birthday, Trace.

Jen said...

Well, like my lovely friend, Amanda, I am also in tears and I'm smiling, too. They grow way too fast for our liking, yet when I see babies so tiny, fighting to grow, it makes me thank God for the healthy boy he gifted to me. There are days that I look at mine now and it's hard to picture when he was Trace's size, even though it's only been three years! You really have to slow down in the middle of the daily grind and just soak up every bit of goodness they give...get one more sweet hug, one more gentle kiss, one more tickle just to hear their precious laugh. He is one lucky little boy, with so much love and he will certainly know it when he's older. You do have the best in-laws (I'd claim them myself!) and wonderful parents-it is such a blessing that they love our children as they do. I would also like to point out to Trace, just in case he didn't notice, his Momma looks beautiful in his b-day pics!!! So glad your sweet boy had a great birthday & Miller's favorite, a Thomas cake! He wants one for everyone's birthday! You could do a little Dorothy one just for y'all and "man" it up with a lion or tinman!! Love to y'all!!

Trinity said...

Everytime Brooklynn asks me to hold her.....I wonder how many more days I have until she is too big for me to carry her around. I am gonna go cry my eyes out now.