Monday, January 25, 2010

I can see carpet now, the track is gone

This title was my poor attempt at musical humor. But I am just plum giddy over this...

My dad (Papaw) built Trace a train table for his birthday and I was very impressed with how it turned out. He's been hiding the fact that he's so handy from my mom for years!

I didn't ask how much the materials cost but I feel sure it was no where near the $300+ that "Thomas and Friends" wanted for theirs. The playmats that go in the bottom to make it look like the Island of Sodor are 70 bucks... ridiculous! Sorry buddy, you'll just have to use your imagination.

Since Christmas Morning, my living room has had a card table in the floor with various sizes of tracks and choo-choos laying around it. This was the pre-Christmas morning excitement (and before all the bridges and ramps collapsed) picture...

Then, we got the bright idea after dinner last week, to attempt to use all the pieces to see just how big a track we can make in the floor.

Who comes up with these great ideas?

We've been stepping over it ever since...
Although Trace's birthday is not for 2 more weeks, when I heard the table was finished, I lovingly encouraged them to bring it on over. Now he has plenty of room to make his big tracks and even a basket underneath for keeping the trains and extra pieces in...Merry Christmas to me!

Eventually, we will move it up to his playroom but for now the train table (and, let's not forget the basketball goal) are permanent fixtures in my great room.

Oh well, one day, he won't want anything to do with us and will probably lock himself in his bedroom just to escape dear mom and dad. I'm gonna enjoy this phase while it lasts.

Thank you Papaw, we love you!

1 comments:

Jen said...

Loved the musical humor...love that carpet while it lasts! My baby is now 6 (I still have a hard time saying it without choking up!) and for the past probably 4 1/2 years, we have been building, rearranging, stepping over, tripping on and lovingly admiring all of the creative building in our home. It only grows! We have a train table in the playroom and although very loved and never without track, that novelty does not last long. After it is built on, they figure out that there are many surfaces without borders and they can extend that track to their heart's content! So, enjoy it being contained to the beautiful table Papaw built for as long as you can!! Tell ole Gary I may just have to send Miller over for carpentry lessons so I can have him start building things for me around the house, instead of just track & legos!! :) I'll have to e-mail you some of his creations-they are quite amazing for his age-he really still loves it! I'm glad, though, cause we could probably retire on what's been spent on his collection & I'd be a little upset if he was already over it!! Hope everyone is doing well! Tell them all hello for me! Sorry this was so long! Love ya!