Saturday, January 23, 2010

Not so silent a night

Last night sent me back to nearly 3 years ago when I was nursing a newborn. I went to bed at 10:30, was back up at 12:30, 2:30, and 4:30 and then ended up sharing the bed with my boy. However, unlike the little 8 pound wad that laid cuddled on my chest, I was now sleeping with a 36 pound acrobat.

Trace had a cough and started running a little fever about 2:30. Around 4:30, I heard him coughing again and went up to find him cradled asleep in the corner of his bed because apparently his sippy cup had leaked water all over his sheets and pillow... poor fella.

So I put him in bed with me upstairs and padded the floor on the other side with pillows and a bean bag prepared for the WWF that I felt sure would begin once he fell back asleep. As most of you know, when you sleep with a toddler, you typically need full body armor to protect your vital organs. Funny, that even in a king sized bed, they somehow manage to get turned sideways or upside down and plant their feet firmly in your ribcage and/or face.

Trace's new favorite story of the month is Roar of a Snore. Bless Dolly Parton and her Imagination Library. We read it at naptime, we read it again at bedtime, we recite "A mighty snore, a thunderous snore, and ear splitting, clamorous ROAR of a snore" at the dinner table. But his favorite part, is the end when the family discovers the snore is actually coming from a little kitten asleep in their barn and rather than wake it up, they decide to all snuggle up with him in the hay and sleep. Ever since reading this book, Trace often asks to "snuggle"... Ahhh, music to a mama's ears!

So last night after numerous trips up and down the stairs in the dark getting the thermometer, Motrin, water, etc... I pick a very drowsy Trace up and put him in the bed next to me. After a few flips, kicks, and twists, he crawls over to my side in his little fleecy, footed pajamas (coughs several times in my face), and then curls up next to me and we spoon... heaven!

Just as he's drifting off to sleep he whispers...
"Mommy"
"Yes Baby"
"Dis is fun!"

And I thought to myself as a closed my eyes... Thank you God for this wiggly, giggly, gift.

2 comments:

Amanda O'Rear said...

I am sorry he is sick...but sometimes it is the little moments from those times that we cherish most!!!

Hope he feels better in no time!!!

Andi said...

What a sweet little fella. Isn't it nice knowing that they, just as much as us, love to cuddle & appreciate the little things in life that mean so much more than any material thing.
Sorry Trace is under the weather but he's a lucky boy to have such a good momma taking care of him.