Thursday, January 7, 2010

i STILL love a snow day

Maybe it's the "forever" teacher in me, but I love waking up to a snow day. Although I've been home since Trace was born, I still find myself peeled to the evening news, and watching the tickers to see if our school system is out for snow.

Old habits die hard I guess.

I've never been a good "stay at home" mom. When I decided to quit teaching, I knew I would not be content with being at home for days on end. Visions of Kate Gosselin and her brood not leaving the house for 3 straight seasons, made me wonder if venturing from the workforce was such a good idea for me. But, I don't regret it one bit. In Kate's defense, if I had sextuplet toddlers, I wouldn't even attempt to go to the mailbox!

Trace and I are on the go quite a bit. But when I heard the weather was going to be bad for the next few days, I was excited to "hunker down" and enjoy it. I was very productive on my first little snow day. I made homemade clam chowder, cleaned out my coat closet and pantry, vacuumed up the still remaining memories of Christmas, and organized our office. All this, while... potty training!

Trace is finally showing some interest, so he spent the better part of the day in the buff...at least from the waist down( isn't that ever man's dream?) ha!

At one point, I found him staring out the window watching the snow, wearing only his pajama top, socks, and a tobaggan. (He must have swiped that during my extensive coat closet reno)

We tried all the gimmicks of the potty training regimen. We moved the potty into the main living area to make it more convenient (not necessarily sanitary... but convenient). I asked him every 15 minutes if he needed to go, I floated a fruit loop in the potty to encourage him to "aim" (to which he replied, "Mommy, it's not a fruit loop, it's an Apple Jack). Well, excuse me... the boy apparently knows his cereal.

We finally settled on M&Ms as his reward for tinkling in the potty. I'm happy to report that we had a 50/50 day... 3 in the potty, 3 ...not quite.

After his nap, we ventured outside for some snowy fun. After I was so ill prepared for our last snow, we got him some insulated camo coveralls and boots (just like his daddy). Within minutes he went from living as a nudist to a multi-layered, fit for subzero weather, army man.

Jimmy, showing him the art of packing and throwing the perfect snowball (at me, holding the camera).
Feeding Ginger snow...

You know you've watched the Wizard of Oz too many times in a 3 week span when you see this picture and immediately think Glenda the Good Witch is landing in your backyard. ha!
Hot chocolate and dethawing...
Tomorrow is another snow day, where potty training will resume and more closets will hopefully be decluttered. Happy Snow Day to you and yours!

1 comments:

Amanda O'Rear said...

He is just adorable! So glad you all got to enjoy the snow...and that you made progress on all your cleaning and potty training! That is HUGE! I need to get going on the same things here!!

Love the pics!