Sunday, April 4, 2010

Did you know the Easter Bunny shops at Bi-Lo?

The Easter season has spurred a lot of interesting conversations at our house. Explaining the "true meaning" of Easter to a barely 3-year-old is not easy.

I mean, Christmas they get... every toddler understands "birthday". But the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is not quite as simple, and to be honest, a little scary. But I want him to understand that Easter means soooo much more than bunnies, eggs, and candy.

All in due time, I guess.

Last night I was putting him to bed and was telling him about Jesus dying on the cross to save us from our sins. I did the roll call of our family and how when we die, because we are believers, we will one day all be in Heaven together.

Trace said, "and Ginger too?" Awww, that boy loves his dog! Maybe I'm crazy, but I told him yes! The Bible says that it is paradise, so I believe our beloved dogs will be waiting on us at the pearly gates (just like they do at our door every night) when we reach the other side.

The night we were going to see the Easter Bunny at the mall, our conversation went like this...

Trace: "Mommy, where does Santa Clause live?"
Me: "Well buddy, where do you think he lives?"
Trace: "Atlanta"

ha!...couldn't hold back the giggles on that one!

He needed a little "warm-up"
That goofy grin... (you may notice his train "Stepney" met the Easter Bunny too!)


We went to Jimmy's parents for Easter lunch with Jim's dad Frank and Sylvia's mom from Alabama. That was such a treat because we never get to see Mimmie for Easter!

Trace loved hunting eggs in the yard. That boy is never gonna win any prizes because he's much more concerned about the "quality" of the candy in each, than the "quantity" of eggs in his basket.

There were 10 eggs in the yard (all within plain view) and it took him 20 minutes to find them all because he stopped, pried off the tape, and ate the candy out of each one as he went. ha! I guess it was a good thing he was hunting alone!

He needed Mimmie's fingernails for that one...

Sharing his loot with Great Frank...
A couple of weeks ago, we were shopping at Bi-Lo and Trace saw two Thomas engines, Charlie and Mighty Mac, that he didn't have. (Seriously... I thought we owned them ALL) I told him we couldn't buy them that day but I later went to Wal-Mart and got Charlie to put in his Easter basket.

This morning when he saw Charlie, he turned to me and said, "Mommy, the Easter Bunny went to the 'gwoocwy' store and got Charlie!" I love this age!!

A few minutes later he was laying in the floor playing with Charlie and I heard him singing to himself... Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, there's just something about that name. Master, Savior, Jesus... Kings and Kingdoms will all pass away, but there's something about that name.

He may not get all the words right, or could explain the meaning of Easter but nothing has ever sounded sweeter to me!

All in due time...

1 comments:

Amanda O'Rear said...

What a precious post! You have such an amazing family girl. What a blessing!!!
Love all the beautiful pictures! Your new family one on your blog page is beautiful!!