Sunday, May 30, 2010

The ole apple doesn't fall far...

I am a little behind on my blogging, but I couldn't let this one go by without capturing the memory. In April, we celebrated my friend Lucia's daughter's birthday at Chuck E. Cheese.

I love that birthday girl!

As some of you may remember, Lu and I worked at Chuck E. Cheese in high school. It was our first job. Yes, we took a lot of ribbing for it, but to date, it is by far the most fun job either of us have ever had!! Ironically, we both ended up being teachers and now stay at home moms. Apparently, our first job trained us well for our future careers.

Anyway, back then Chuck E. Cheese was, well... obnoxious. It was extremely loud, sectioned off and very dark. There was NO "security" at the door to keep your child from ending up in the parking lot or being abducted by a stranger, unless of course you count me and Lu (working behind the ticket/toy counter) which together hardly weighed 100 pounds. We were quite an intimidating duo, with our scrawny selves, big hair and Chuck E. Cheese visors. ha!

Our job description was to host birthday parties. We would greet the kids/parents, set up the tables, take orders, serve the pizza, drinks, and cake, hand out tokens and deal with the money. However, back then, part of the "birthday show" was a spirited singing number done by the entire staff in front of the stage. I can still remember the song...

"You're a birthday star with Chuck E. Cheese, something, something, something, we all aim to please"

I know... that's sad.

And of course, there was the occasional time when the hired "rat" called in sick and one of us had to don the dreaded outfit. It was suffocatingly hot, it smelled, you had to do a ridiculous dance and were attacked by hoards of small children... doesn't it just sound like a dream job?

I remember one specific time when I was in it and I had tucked my waist length ponytail up in the head. It fell as I was making the rounds and from behind me I could hear this kid charging at me yelling... "It's a GGIIIIIRRRRLLLLL!" I've never run so fast back into a closet wearing a 50 pound mouse costume in my life.

So... 20 years later, here we are with our own children, thankful they turned down the music, turned up the lights, stopped selling beer (can you believe it?) and added a stamp/security rope at the front door.

(Trace would SO be the child standing in the middle of the parking lot if it weren't for that rope.)

As Kate's 4th birthday party got underway, it came time for the birthday song. As Chuck E. made his grand entrance, I fully anticipated Trace to jump into my lap and cower until he was safely back in the closet, but instead...





I guess it's just in his blood!

2 comments:

Awhite said...

Heidi! Trace is so cute! Love, love, love the video! Thanks for the laughter! ~April ;)

SDT said...

The Turners are impressed with Trace's dance moves!