Sunday, May 16, 2010

To teach is to touch a life forever...

37 years...

37 first days of school
37 Christmas vacations
37 much needed Spring breaks
37 last days of school
37 summers

countless...
dried tears
tied shoelaces
bear hugs
buttoned pants
bandaged knees
teacher stares
wiped noses
books read
report cards written
... lives changed

Last night, colleagues, friends, neighbors, and family gathered to celebrate and honor my dear friend Lynda, who next week will retire after 37 years of teaching... and loving children!

She is the teacher every mother prays for and every child deserves. When I think of all the children's lives she has touched over the years, it amazes me.

She taught at only 2 schools her entire career, and has been at Woodmore for the last 26 years. There is no doubt, there will be a huge void in that building and community next Wednesday when she leaves it.


Surprise!

Lynda and Penny (in the green and white shirt) have been best friend and taught together for 25 years.

I was incredibly blessed to get to teach on the same team with Lynda and Penny for 4 years before I left when Trace was born. They took a rookie under their wing, and I will always be grateful for all they taught me! Not only the "how-to", but what the true spirit of a teacher should be. They will forever be my friends and mentors.

My Woody girls... don't know what I'd do without them!
Her beautiful family...


Lynda and Lindsey
Her best surprise... her first grandson Xander was there to celebrate with her.

Jared was once one of her first graders... now look. I actually taught with her when he was in first grade, that makes us both feel old.
Mrs. Paris (center) is Jared's granny and was our first grade assistant for years. There were MANY days we wouldn't have survived without her!!

She now gets to move on to another love and a job I'm sure she will cherish everyday... taking care of baby Xander.

I put this quote on the picture board, and it sums her up perfectly...

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."
~Author Unknown

So, so, true... love you Lynda!!





0 comments: