Saturday, December 11, 2010

Beginning the 7 year itch with a bun in the oven

This week, Jimmy and I celebrated our 7 th wedding anniversary. Sometimes, I can't believe it's been that long already, and then other times it just feels like we've been together since the dawn of time. ha!

We have kind of adopted a few traditions along the way, one being that we watch our wedding video every year on our anniversary in front of our beautiful Christmas tree and fire. We laugh about how much younger and thinner we were then (hello... especially this year!) and love to remember that wonderful night. I think I say every year, "I probably couldn't get one leg in that dress any more."

As much as I love doing that, with each passing year, it seems there are more and more dear family and friends that we've lost since watching the video the year before. Seeing them at our wedding, celebrating the beginning of our lives together fills me with joy but sadness as well. This year, I couldn't help but think, these were very important people in our lives that will never meet or know our sweet baby girl. (at least on this side of heaven)

Regardless, I wouldn't trade anything for that video or our tradition and it totally ranks in the top 5 things I would rescue from my house if it was burning. Yes, my dog, child, and hubby also rank in the top 5... not in that particular order! ha!

Another anniversary "tradition" we have is going to the Melting Pot. On our first anniversary, we went to the Opryland hotel (we didn't actually stay there, because honestly, who could afford the room rates at Christmas in that place???) but we spent the night in Nashville, Christmas shopped, saw all the sights at the Opryland hotel and had dinner at the Melting Pot. We don't make it to a Melting Pot every year but since then, we have been to the one in Atlanta and Destin.

This year, we stuck close to home and thanks to a gift certificate from one of Jimmy's workers, we ate at the new Chattanooga location for free!!! Friday night, Trace went to Parent's Night Out at his school and we had our anniversary date. It never disappoints... and Girby loved it too!! She bounced all the way home after eating all that chocolate fondue.

After the hostess took this picture of us, I told Jimmy the next one better be of us sitting down... I look HUGE (and we hadn't even eaten yet)!!!

31 weeks and everyone that sees me says I will never make it to February. Of course, that didn't stop me from eating nearly every bite of my 4 course meal! My mom asked me if we brought doggie bags home... yeah right :)
One thing not helping my waistline lately is the fact that we splurged on the Carmike Theater's Big - O - Bucket of refillable popcorn back in October and I've been a little obsessed with getting our moneys worth out of it until it expires on December 31st. (Anyone planning on going to a Carmike movie between now and New Years, please come by and borrow our bucket) It only costs $2.50 to refill it so I've been scouring the movie section for any chance to use it.

We saw a movie the day of the SEC Championship football game and barely resisted the urge to refill it (again) before we left. That night, I'll admit, I was not a very attentive mama. In the hopes of staying wrapped cozily in my blanket on my chair and a half, watching the Auburn/South Carolina game I told Trace I would turn on a "little bit of show" as he calls it in our bedroom. A "little bit of show" these days would most likely be a Diego, Team Umizoomi, Dora or Max and Ruby.

(To quote my friend Eddie..."Seriously, where are Max and Ruby's parents?") Probably trying to watch the SEC Championship game in peace. ha!

About an hour in, Jimmy commented about how quiet Trace was being. I begrudgingly unwrap from my cocoon, propel myself off the cushy chair and a half and waddle into our bedroom to find this...
He explained he and Ginger were just sharing a "little bit of popcorn" while they were watching a "little bit of show." I instinctively cringed and imagined her head stuck down inside the bowl of heavily buttered popcorn helping herself to her portion until I saw his little buttery hand emerge with a handful that she then licked clean... while the two lay between the sheets of my bed.
Funny thing is, we never even heard him sneak into the kitchen and snag the bucket off the countertop. He probably waited until a big play when he knew we weren't paying any attention and then made his mad dash.

I'd like to think Ginger put him up to it.

Those two are quite the pair!

1 comments:

Claire said...

Heidi,
I'm just now catching up on your blog. I am so sorry to hear about your Mom but am glad to know that they caught it early. Our prayers are with you all!

Second, you look GREAT. I can't wait to see this sweet little lady bug come February. =)

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. the playroom storage. That kind of thing gets my heart palpitating. =) So cool!

Lastly, Happy 7 year anniversary. Cheers to you and Jimmy!