Monday, December 20, 2010

Kickoff to Christmas

Christmas is in full swing around here. Last week, we had Trace's Preschool Christmas show, 2 Christmas parties and a birthday party for Miss Bentley (I forgot my camera).

Tuesday night, the kiddos at Hixson Pres. Preschool put us all in the holiday spirit with their sweet voices and reenactment of the birth of baby Jesus.

My little drummer boy...
I don't know WHAT was going on with my camera, but every picture I took gave them "demon" eyes.
It was a very lively production this year, with some new songs about various animals coming to visit baby Jesus and "mooing, baaing, and neighing" at him in the manger...
Mine was quite animated to say the least!


Trace greeting his entourage after the performance...

On Friday night, we had our 3rd annual Gingerbread House party with my girlfriends from college at Leslie and Jack's house. This year, Miss Olivia, joined us for the first time. I love how we continue to grow and how the kids all change from year to year.

Olivia just watched this year, but oohhhh next Christmas she will be all in that icing and candy! Get ready Iris!!
Jill is in charge every year of bringing the milk cartons since she's the teacher and gets them from school. Before the party, we all got an e-mail that said... "Houston, we have a problem." Since school was canceled the day before for ice and the teacher's inservice was all that was left, we had to settle for little juice boxes and tiny cracker boxes. So the kids got creative. Ethan made a mansion by stacking his on top of one another and making a multi-story house. Trace did a house with a detached 3 car garage for his boat and other "toys"... Daddy would be proud!

In typical Trace fashion, he slathered on a little icing, popped on a few pieces of candy (ingested a few as well) and was off playing with all of Jack's toys in about 5 minutes. Crafts are not really his cup of tea. Especially when he's at a new house full of toys he's never played with before.
Sweet Abby was the last one standing...

The next night, we went to our church's "Friendship House" for my dad's side of the family's Christmas. I always look forward to getting together with everyone, it's so rare that we do these days. Not everyone could make it this year but it is always so much fun. The kids RUN around like crazy, banging on the piano, stealing cupcakes off the table and making castles out of Solo cups only to knock them down repeatedly.

When I got out of the shower before the party, I found this sweet scene in my living room. Trace had fallen asleep in the floor and Ginger was keeping watch over him while we got ready... she really does love him!!
Generation 1...
Dad's cousins Mike and Greg, Aunt Gail and my dad.

Since we lost my great-aunt Sue in March, this was the first Christmas that one of the "original" 3 sisters that started this whole clan wasn't here with us. We found peace knowing that this year, they were all spending Christmas together in heaven!
Generation 2...
My cousins Casey and Carrie, my brother Andy, me, cousins Cara and Brittany. We were missing Lindsey, Zack, and Allison.
Generation 3...

Drew, Cole, Abram, Lucas, and Trace. We were missing Connor and Sarah.

Moments before... these 5 were running around, scattered everywhere. Someone wrangled them all together, wrestled them to the floor and started snapping pictures. This sweet pose lasted only nanoseconds. I think Drew will be glad when Girby gets here... she is SO outnumbered!

Love this one...
Aunt Carrie and baby Cole
My cousin Cara entertained the kids like such a natural. She is a seventh grade teacher and she was so born to do this. They adore her!

I got the bright idea Saturday morning to attempt candied apples. I used an obscene amount of wax paper and aluminum foil, nearly ruined my countertops and had to throw away every pot and pan I touched. It was a MESS!!! Had to take a picture, because those will be the last! ha!
Greg and I comparing "bumps"... I kept yelling, "Don't you dare suck in... 'cause I can't!"
It has been a great week and I can't wait to see what the rest of this holiday season has in store for us!!

1 comments:

Jane said...

I just love blogs! It definitely sounds like Trace has inherited some of his Nana's ceramic traits while making gingerbread houses...just slap a little icing on there and start something else!