Sunday, December 26, 2010

Enchanted...

I realize I'm actually writing this post on January 3rd, although I downloaded these pictures well within the "Christmas holiday post allotment." I completely forgot about them until I found an unpublished post and went to see what it was.

I'm telling you, this baby growing thing is doing a number on my brain... and my waistline.

Anyhoo... couldn't let the season pass by without sharing one of our new favorite family traditions. Whoever came up with the name Enchanted Garden of Lights for the Christmas Rock City display hit the nail on the head, at least for my little guy...
I'm kidding.

That's just what he looked like by the time we drove from our house up Lookout Mountain in the dark. Apparently, his no need for an afternoon nap is greatly tempted if you ever put him in the car and ride idly quiet for more than 5 minutes at dusk. He thinks he's SO grown and doesn't need naps anymore, but this keeps happening... huh, it's making mama wonder???

Trace was totally enchanted (once he was vertical) to say the least by Rock City. I wish I had a running video of him throughout the entire trail. I kid you not when I say... the child N.E.V.E.R. stopped talking. Jimmy and I both agreed he definitely has a future in commentating.

He gave a play by play, blow by blow of every light configuration, Christmas scene, and tree display he laid his eyes on, and would then preview what was up ahead by enthusiastically exclaiming, "Oh look... up there, I see a _________________!!!"

My favorite was when we got to the patriotic display that had red, white, and blue toy soldiers lining the path with huge American flags made entirely out of lights hanging above us and he said. "Mommy look, it's the American flag. Isn't it beautiful? I think I have a little tear in my eye!"

I couldn't hold back the laughter. No idea where he heard that one!

While it was all joyful and precious to us as his parents, the poor people in front and behind us would probably have preferred him to turn down the enthusiastic dial a bit and let them admire the beauty in peace and quiet. But... that's the magic of Christmas with a 3-year-old and it was worth every penny we paid just to see it through his eyes!
The only sour note we hit all night, was a HORRIBLE mommy moment. After visiting Santa Clause and getting his picture made (yeah... I managed to stay out of the mall Santa craziness this year!!) we got some hot chocolate.
Yes... you know what happened next, when I let him have it way too soon and didn't properly demonstrate the fine art of "sipping" hot chocolate. Before I realized it, he had turned up a full gulp and then had the dreadful panicked look as he spit it back down his face, coat, and pants.

I could have cried.

I just knew that when we referred back to this wonderful family evening, the only recollection he would recall was scalding his tongue and mouth on the hot chocolate. I guarantee you, if you asked him about the Enchanted Garden of Lights today, the first thing he would say would not be all the lights, beauty and magic... but about that. :(

It was very foggy up there that night, so all of our pictures turned out with water droplets on them.
We made it... barely!

0 comments: