Thursday, November 8, 2012

Working 9 to 9:05

So yesterday's post may have been the cheesiest, lamest post I've ever written.  I hope my brother never reads it, because I will most definitely hear about it.
He has no filter is brutally honest.

On another note, my sweet daddy is months away from retirement and I couldn't be happier for him!!!  He has worked so hard for so many years!

I'll admit, it will be sad in a way to drive past 5438 Hixson Pike and not stop in and say hello like I've done for the past 2 1/2 decades.  That office was the first place I drove out of "solo" with a brand new drivers license in 1991. (While jamming to the New Kids on the Block and wearing tight rolled jeans.)

 But then, it dawned on me that I could just run up Big Ridge to 6330 Fairview Road and see him lounging in his dress sweats, drinking his 3rd cup of coffee while watching The View, because THAT'S WHAT RETIRED PEOPLE DO!!!

Who am I kidding?  My dad will be at 1 of 4 places... the marina, Academy, Lowe's, or The Golden Gallon (getting more coffee)

Over the years since Grand #1 and Grand #2 have arrived, I've stopped in that office a few thousand times.  Often to change a stinky diaper (correction: to let Papaw change a stinky diaper ;), to grab a drink, kill some time or pay an insurance premium but most often to simply say "hi" and give my dad a hug. 

He claims he loves it and it brightens his day to see us coming.  But he's sweet like that, what else would he say?  ;)

 Our visits go something like this...

We enter the door to the bell chime announcing our arrival. (His staff runs to hide.)

Trace goes IMMEDIATELY to the basket of dum-dums and consumes as many as possible before I put the basket on top of the fireplace where he can no longer reach it.

Then, he runs, RUNS down the hall calling "Paaappppaw" with little foot behind him crying for a dum dum she's not allowed to have.

It makes no difference if Papaw is with a policy holder or on the phone, we abound into his office with great enthusiasm and Trace promptly begins eating the M&M's and Ring Pops that sit in a glass bowl next to his desk.  (Do you see a developing trend here?) 

In the 9 years that we got to see Uncle Andy there too, he was greatly distressed about the amount of sugar dad kept in the office and passed out freely to the youngsters of Hixson.

After a few minutes of chit chat, Trace would assume his position on the phones.  He loved to "answer" the different lines, and quickly mastered the "Good Morning, Nationwide" greeting.  He would then scribble down a few notes and click away on the computer as if he were inputting a policy change.  He loved to play "secretary" at Debbie's old desk.

However, lately he's had a little distraction keeping him from his work...

 Huh, what's in this drawer???
Son, I can sympathize.  This has been the scene of every phone call I've made since the two of you were born.  Welcome to my world.
And this is why we keep our visits short and sweet.  A little of us goes a long way!

0 comments: