Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Water Logged

Last week, my friend Jill and I took the kids to my brother's pool. It was so nice having it all to ourselves, bringing lunch, and just relaxing (ha, as much as you can with 3 kids under 5, that is!)

I was AMAZED at the transformation in just a few short hours. Trace went from wanting to be held in the water (even with his water wings on) to totally solo!! I think a huge part had to do with him watching Abby swim and jump off the sides with nothing but her swimmies on... oh the peer pressure!

I couldn't believe that by the end of the day, he was jumping (scooting) off the side from his bottom, swimming to the side and climbing up the ladder and swimming alone. He smiled and laughed so much, I think he drank half the pool.

Oh... my baby is growing up!

Here's his... I can do it by myself, determined look.

Cutie pies!
Ethan, Trace, and Abby in the pool with noodles, floats, and swimmies!
It seems like only yesterday, he was 9 months old and we were going to the Y for "mommy and me" swim classes. We were very fortunate that there were only 2 other babies in the class so daddy got to get in too.

After a "dunk" with daddy

Learning to kick... I LOVE those chunky little legs.
"Jumping" off the side

I can remember being so scared of holding him in the water. I had a death grip on him, knowing if I let go he would sink like a rock to the bottom. They are so trusting at that age and completely oblivious to the danger.

Then the grip changed and becomes his. He used to hold onto me for dear life... like he was actually trying to crawl up on top of my head to hang on. There were times I thought both of us would surely drown just from the sheer panic and hysteria.

Now, he's floating off by himself, not even caring if I'm in the water or not. I know that's good and just part of letting go... but wow, it's so hard!

You may notice, there's not one picture of me in the pool with Trace from the "mommy and me" class. Ha!... what woman wants their picture taken in a swimsuit months after delivering a baby??? Let's be honest, he's almost 2 1/2 now and I'm still trying to avoid the camera!

Funny how your choice in swim suits change over the years.

Pre-baby, I was in a bikini... post-baby, it became a tankini... last month, I ordered my first skirtini (probably first of many)!! The more fabric placed in strategic areas, the better :)


0 comments: