Thursday, August 13, 2009

Papaw J-Bird

Late yesterday afternoon, my Papaw J-Bird died peacefully at his house. Although it was expected it still doesn't fill the hole that loss leaves in your broken heart. He was truly loved and will forever be missed.

We were hoping he would make it until after Andy's wedding, but again, God's timing is not always our own and He was ready to bring him home. I must admit, a smile crossed my face when I thought about him being reunited with my Mamaw in heaven after 15 years apart.

As we have all said many times since he got sick, "We will gladly take 87 great years!" They are holding his funeral until Monday and we are still trying to work out details about who all will be able to make the trip. The timing of this with the wedding is so hard, but I am SO thankful we got to see him again and say goodbye last week. God is so good!

Now it is time to turn our attention to the joy of this weekend and celebrating this much anticipated wedding!!! The circle of life continues.

Here are a few pictures from our trip...

Aunt Gail and Dad with Papaw

Casey, Aunt Gail, Carrie, and me (or is it I... I should know that?)
I had to include some of our cuties!

Here are Trace and Abram (Carrie's son) at the airport the day we left, patiently waiting for the airplanes to come in (it was a very slow flight day... and you know the attention span of toddlers).

Awww... cousinly love!
I think the other passengers on the observation deck were very grateful when we assured them these two would NOT be boarding the airplane with us :)

2 comments:

Amanda O'Rear said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss girl. I will keep your family close to my heart and in my prayers. I am very thankful you all got to spend time with him before he passed. Family is just such a blessing...those relationships and memories teach us for a lifetime!

Jen said...

Heidi,
I am so sorry to just now to writing & finding out this sad news. Mom & Dad were at lunch last Sunday with Shara & Tommy, so I knew about everyone flying down. I am so very happy you all got to spend special time with your Papaw. You will forever be happy you did. I did the same thing with my Pa and it is just one more memory you could not have gotten back. I have been praying for your family through this and praying for a wonderful day for everyone today. I'm so thankful that the sun is shining and I'm sure your Papaw was there in spirit. It's such a hard thing to celebrate at a time like this, but God knows what He's doing and I think he knew all of you would need a joyous occasion to focus on at this time. I'm glad he had 87 years with such a loving family. Give everyone my love and congrats to Andy. I'll keep you all in my prayers as you travel next week. Love you!!