Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The spring break $100 challenge - Day One

It's Spring Break for Big T and while I wanted to make it fun, I also wanted to make it affordable. Entertaining kids is expensive ya'll.

So... I decided to try a $100 challenge. I wanted to see if I could come up with cheap ways to have fun without breaking the bank.

Day One- Riding the John Deere, planting flowers in the yard, playing with the water hose (we'll just pretend that's free :) and then after an early dinner at home...
He's been bowling at 2 b-day parties but never with good ole' mom and dad. So I marched in armed with my $100 bill (I HATE breaking hundreds, but only managed to make it till dinnertime on Monday before I had to) and my Kids First School Coupon book. I thought we'd get out for about $10-12 bucks. WRONG!!! (Can you tell it's been since like 1998 since I've been bowling?) 24 bucks for 3 to bowl 2 games and that was with a BOGO. What??? Well, that would be because they charge you $3.50 a piece for these ugly things...
Ridiculous! Reality smacked me in the face that it was Day 1 and I'm already out a quarter of my budget. It's Ramen Noodles and Nick Jr. the rest of the week buddy. ;)

Special K sat in her stroller till about the 6th frame of the second game and then WE COULD CoNtAiN HER NO MORE!!! She got out and ran straight for the pins. She pitched a red-headed temper tantrum (that would send any man running to get snipped) like I've never seen before. She had been patiently watching us throw balls down that alley for an hour and she was bound and determined to do it too! I fear for my future. ha!
Trace was SO funny. He wanted to hand the ball to you each time (even Jimmy's big 14 lb. one) and then stood right beside you while you get set, talking you through each roll. When it was his turn he ran to the line, practically dropped the ball onto the alley (getting a bill from Holiday Bowl to replace the floor in Lane 32, might just bust my $100 budget) and then RUN back to the chairs to watch it reach the pins (which took a short forever, I might add.)
It was really a fun time, and we will do again. Even if it was a small fortune!

Day one down- $76 left in the mommy bank.

0 comments: