Tuesday, April 7, 2009

So I won't be trying out for "American Idol" anytime soon

There is no bigger dose of reality than when a child tells you what they think. In this case, shows you. I got the ugly truth more times than I care to count when I was teaching. My students would tell me anytime something I was wearing wasn't very flattering on me, when I needed to get my nails done, when my hair was a hot mess and especially how fat I was when I was preggers. Oh, out of the mouths of babes :)

Tonight as I was putting Trace to bed, we had finished our books, our prayers, and our songs, but he just wasn't quite ready for night-night and he asked if we could "wock" some more. Of course, what is more precious than rocking your cuddle bug before bedtime? So, even though American Idol had already started, I was more than happy to oblige. (What did parents do before DVRs?)

It is becoming more clear to me everyday, just how fast he is growing up and there will come a day, not to long from now I'm afraid, when rocking before bedtime will be a thing of the past. So I am cherishing every moment of it. I got him (and all 5 of his blankets) back out of the crib and continued snuggling and rocking.

I have been singing a lot of church songs to him at night after our prayers in the hopes that one day he will understand the meaning and they will be as second nature to him as Twinkle, Twinkle, Wheels on the Bus and of course, the famous "Barney" song.

So I'm singing the song Sanctuary (which I LOVE)...

Oh Lord prepare me, to be a sanctuary
Pure and holy, tried and true
With thanksgiving, I'll be a living
Sanctuary for you

I get to the 2nd line of the song, singing it very softly in his ear while rocking in the dark, when Trace lifts his sweet head off my shoulder, looks right into my eyes, takes his big blanket and...

covers my mouth with it!!!

I think he was actually trying to stuff it into my mouth to stop me from singing.

Now, I am the first to admit that I have a terrible voice, but I always thought it was sufficient enough to sing my 2-year-old to sleep... apparently NOT! Looks like we have another Simon Cowell in the making!

I could not keep from laughing, but began singing and rocking again (trying a little harder to stay in tune this time) and the little stinker did it again!

Oh well, at least God appreciated my singing.

OK, I get the hint, "wock" time is over... night night!

1 comments:

Amanda O'Rear said...

That is so funny...and cute. They are very honest aren't they? When Maggie was on pain meds after surgery I was brushing my teeth and she told me I was disgusting when I was doing that. LOL...it made me feel less than attractive at that moment..but I guess pain meds are like truth syrup..and I do look gross when brushing my teeth I suppose? LOL..so far I am okay on the singing..they think I sing good...so maybe I should try out for American Idol...doubtful. Ha! Loved your post!