Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hotlanta, Hotnana

This Tuesday, after dropping Trace off at MDO, my mom, my Nanny and I headed to Atlanta in search of wedding dresses. My brother's wedding is August 15th and we all needed new duds. Needless to say, we had our work cut out for us. One day...3 dresses. Where else would you go but Atlanta?

We had originally planned on just going to Macy's at Town Center or "the pink mall" as I always referred to it growing up. I didn't know it's real name until a few years ago. My mom is terrified of merging (although she hasn't actually driven us anywhere since the day I turned 15) so going to the pink mall on the outskirts of Atlanta suited her just fine.

But after researching department stores, we figured that Perimeter Mall would give us more bang for our buck with Macy's, Dillards, Nordstroms, and Bloomingdales (or "Bloomies" for our Friends lovers). I had never even walked into that store before, let alone purchased anything. I'm much more of the... go straight to the clearance/sale rack and camp out for the day kind of shopper. Five minutes after entering Bloomies, I realized there were no sales racks and I quickly retreated back to good ole Macy's. Believe me, I know what league I'm in.

We considered our day a huge success in that we found my Nanny and my mom a dress! That is a lot of pressure, you don't get your 80 year old Nanny out shopping in Atlanta often, so that was our first priority. It honestly brought tears to my eyes when she came out of her dressing room. I wanted to put a link on here to show you her outfit but couldn't find it on the Macy's website. It looks beautiful on her and it was the first one she tried on! She looked so precious trying on her stunning, formal wear in her white Keds... I love her!

Now it was on to my mom, a.k.a. Nana. Anyone that knows my mom, knows her lifelong passion for purple. She left her wedding in a short purple mini-dress (it was the 70's after all), five years later, I came home from the hospital in a purple dress to my purple nursery. Her kitchen and her bathroom are purple (bless my poor dad), and for Trace's first "formal" event, she managed to find a purple striped button-down onesie and amazingly convinced Jimmy to let him wear it. He was only 4 months old... he looked adorable! She once threatened to not pay for my wedding unless my bridesmaids dresses were purple. She was only kidding, but I know a small piece of her dream died when I chose black dresses for my Christmas wedding... sorry mom!

Anyway, although she said it wasn't a necessity, I was on the hunt for a purple Mother of the Groom dress... and here it is! She looks gorgeous in it! She wrapped the shawl around her arms and tied it in the back like a shrug. We found it at Nordstroms, making the extra 30 minute drive and merging through terrifying Atlanta traffic completely worth it!

I will say, I was very proud of mom and Nanny, they have been known to sprawl in the floorboard of the backseat while driving in stressful situations. They were probably white knuckling it the entire way, but aside from the mere 20 minutes we were lost on the wrong highway, the ride was pretty uneventful.

We had a wonderful time and it was great spending the day with them. Although I am still looking for a dress, we were very happy... 2 out of 3's not bad!

0 comments: