Monday, November 16, 2009

"I was country... when country wasn't cool"

If you don't recognize the title of this post as a classic 80's Barbara Mandrell song, then you might as well stop reading now. Last week, we got to go to the CMA's in Nashville. To say I was a little star-struck is an understatement. I have LOVED country music for as long as I can remember. I have memories of getting to stay up late on the weekends and watching the Mandrell Sisters show and dancing my little heart out (and who could forget Solid Gold ha!)

Jimmy and I went down early that morning, had lunch at Chili's and shopped around Opry Mills. We spent the entire time looking through the glass windows of Chili's into the mall to try and spot a star. I kept reminding myself that it was very doubtful that Reba was going to come saundering in to eat some $3.99 chips and salsa and do a little shopping at Old Navy on "Country's Biggest Night", but we couldn't keep ourselves from watching... just in case.

We met up with Eddie, Trinity, Chuck and Kellie and went to dinner at Merchant's on Broadway and then headed to the Sommet Center for the show.

Note to self... the Sommet Center is actually pronounced Somma (long a) not Sommet (as if I needed any more help sounding like a complete redneck)
The show was amazing!! I honestly couldn't even get up and go to the bathroom during commercial breaks because I was so afraid I would miss something. Our seats were the first row of the balcony and although I spent the better part of the evening fighting with my camera (out of 130 pictures, I erased over 70) it was perfect.

Here are some pictures from the night. They are very dark and blurry (I'm still not over it) but it's all I've got, so...

The hosts... Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood

The night's big winner, Taylor Swift...
Carrie Underwood singing Cowboy Casanova in not much more than hot shorts and heels. Jimmy has a slight fatuation with her dating back to the American Idol days when she was just a sweet, little farm girl from Checota, Oklahoma. I'd say she's come a long way since the farm!
He had to get the binoculars out for this number! ha!
That's OK, I had Brad...
Tim...
and King George to look at!
Thank you Trinity and Eddie for inviting us... I can't wait for next year!!


0 comments: