Friday, March 11, 2011

Pretty in Pink (and purple)

I love how Keatyn's nursery turned out. You know how some people can take something simple and create something beautiful and special out of it?

Well, I'm unfortunately not one of those people.

But, luckily my mother-in-law is.

I found a pink toile fabric online and Sylvia literally did the rest.

She made the bed skirt for the full size bed, all of the crib bedding, the roman shade for the window, and recovered my vanity stool for under her table. I can't wait to tell her one day that her Sisty did all of this to make her room special. I hope she teaches Keatyn how to do all of these things. She doesn't stand a chance learning anything from me, I'm incapable of sewing on a button.

When we found out Girby was a girl (hence the name "Girby" short for Girl Baby) I immediately thought, "Great, now we won't have to paint her nursery... it's already purple."

OK, actually my first thoughts were of buying prom dresses, big hair bows, planning a wedding, and countless shopping trips with my little girl. But shortly following those thoughts were, "Great, now we won't have to paint her nursery... it's already purple."

What I love the most is it's full of sentimental things.

The shadow box has the purple dress she came home from the hospital in, the same dress I came home in nearly 36 years ago. My plan is to get a picture from mom's of me in that dress and put it next to her picture on the shelf.View from the door...

All of the white furniture (except for the bed) was Jimmy's furniture growing up. When we first moved into the house, I painted it all white, distressed it, and changed the hardware and used it in my guest room. I never dreamed I would be using it one day in my baby girls room!
At my baby shower, Sisty showed me this cross stitched throw hanging above the glider that she had been working on. She finished it just days after she was born. Granddaddy told me she had at least 450 to 500 hours of work invested in that. She worked on it a little at a time, from the time she learned she was a girl. That is so special!
The glider was from a consignment shop and the lamp light post was Trace's, given to him by Penny and Lynda. The beautiful pillow with her initials on it was made by my friend Leslie's mom, Patty. She made it out of a table cloth used by her mother and handed down to her. She also made a purple pillow cover with her name on it. (See why I was SO stressed when Jimmy wanted to change her name!)

I bought these mirrors on the 30% off end cap at Target. I changed the ribbon to pink, and Ms. Jennifer, one of Trace's teachers at school, printed the vinyl letters for her initials.
Ms. Jennifer also did the bible verse above her bed (For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord... Jeremiah 29:11) and her name plates. She is starting her own business in vinyl lettering and crafts and is very talented!
This iron bed was Jimmy's grandmother's as a child. It has been every color in the rainbow. Jimmy's dad painted it white for us. I love the fact that when she's bigger, she will sleep on something that has been handed down through the generations. Hopefully, her little girl will sleep in that bed one day too.(The snoozing baby in the picture is not for effect, she just fell asleep while I was taking pictures and my mama taught me to never wake a sleeping baby.)
That beautiful purple blanket she's wrapped in was hand made by one of the Golden Girls, Bonnie. She actually made her two. I can't even imagine all of the hours she spent on those.

Things like that have so much meaning when you know how much time someone took making it for you, thinking about the baby that will use it, and hopefully saying a prayer or two for your little one in the process. It amazes me that these women spent their precious time working on things for my daughter. She is certainly a blessed little girl!





1 comments:

Claire said...

What a beautiful, meaningful baby girls' room!

Love it all. So very sweet and special.