Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What a Weekend...

It's kinda sad when your preschooler has a better social life than you do. But, I'm not too proud to say... it's true.

I'm a little behind, but last weekend Trace had what would be considered in kiddie terms, the "Disneyworld" of boy's weekends.

A couple of weeks ago, my brother asked if he and Kadi could take him to the monster truck show at the Arena. We went to the circus there last year and spent the majority of our time in the bathroom, but even after that warning and my scary prediction of mixing 4-year-olds and EXTREMELY loud noises, he claimed they still wanted to go.

So Friday night they set off, armed with Papaw's headphones to damper the deafening sounds, I was sure would be the ruin of a perfectly good evening. Turns out, it took wax ear plugs, headphones, and the occasional old fashioned hand over the ears cover, but luckily everyone survived.

(And Andy said, much to Kadi's dismay, that they feed and hydrated him very infrequently to avoid the nasty public bathrooms we spent so much time in at the circus. His philosophy is, if he's ain't askin', don't offer... what goes in, must come out.)

Good call brother. I believe he's ready for fatherhood.
I hope my future nieces and nephews get those adorable dimples!
Can't you just hear the grunts and growls? Love this...
Four hours later they returned, all wearing smiles and Trace sporting his new "Gravedigger" T-shirt, which he insisted on sleeping in.
I knew he would either come in sound asleep on Uncle Andy's shoulder (it wasn't over until after 10:00) or bounding through the door talking 90 miles an hour. The latter prevailed. He was so wired he didn't collapse into the bed until 1 a.m. only to get a few hours of sleep before his next adventure...

So, Saturday morning my friend Leslie and her hubby Sean came to pick Trace up to go to the train exhibit with their son Jack. She knew we weren't really getting Keatyn out yet and knows Trace's love of trains. So with only a few hours of sleep and monster trucks on the brain, they headed to North Georgia to the Colonnade.


The train museum was somewhat of a bust they said (much more for the avid collector that preschool boys... I'm assuming they uttered the phrase, "Just look...no, no, no... don't touch" a few dozen times.) So after about 30 minutes, they moved on to the Aquarium.

I have been in the car with these two rascals before, and I'm telling you the conversations heard from the backseat beat any reality show on TV today... hilarious!
They went back to Leslie and Sean's for PB&J's and a little home spun music.

"Alright... Wheels on the Bus, from the top, on my count."
And then a little tackle football in the front yard.

Looks like Sean might need some head protection himself.
Nothing better than a big ol' sand pile, or mulch pile, or rock pile... actually, any pile will do. And when there's a neighborhood under construction, you're never short on piles!
And finishing the day off... feeding the ducks and throwing rocks in the pond (not at the ducks boys.)

I believe this was about the time when Trace's late night partying caught up with him.

After his confessional at home, I learned he ran out into the road on the way back to their house, wastefully threw whole pieces of bread into the water, and basically shut down all listening skills he's acquired over the last 4 years.

Well, the fun was nice while it lasted... time to go home :)
So after a day full of trains, sharks, drums, football, rock throwing, and sand piles, I'm really gonna have to step up my game. When I had Jack over last summer after Leslie's shoulder surgery, we played T-ball in the front yard and ate a sack full of Krystal's on a picnic table in the driveway. Woo-hoo!

Lame, I know.

It's a wonder Jack still speaks to us.

I can't thank Uncle Andy, Aunt Kadi, Leslie, Sean, and Jack enough for entertaining my boy, while I stayed home and did riveting things like wash 19 loads of laundry in Dreft, clean out my closet, and watch countless episodes of Say Yes to the Dress while nursing a newborn. Sounds like Disneyworld, doesn't it?

He is so blessed to have such wonderful people in his life to love and make memories with... we love you all!

0 comments: