Thursday, January 8, 2009

Friends, Food, and Football

Saturday night, we had some friends of mine over from college. We rotate getting together at each other's houses (for dinner AND gingerbread houses) and it was my turn. We all bring food and sometimes the hubbies come! This time we decided to do adults only, with 4 kids under the age of 5 and an 8 year old running around, it would have been a whole different kind of party! It was supposed to be a "Christmas" thing but because of crazy schedules we did in on January 3rd, and had to pretend. I left all of my decorations up in hopes of holding on to the holiday cheer a little longer.

After reassuring Ronnie (Iris' husband) that yes, I do have cable AND a big screen and the Colts/Chargers playoff game would certainly be showing on it... we got them there! You can imagine my horror when, the day before they were coming, I found my long lost Comcast bill OVERDUE under my computer table. Apparently, in the midst of Christmas hysteria and an overabundance of catalogs piling up on my desk, it got pushed off!! I pay my bills online, so I frantically called in the hopes that my sweet, innocent voice would persuade some nice gentleman not to turn off my cable before the big game... can you imagine how bad that would have been! "Hey guys, so glad you came, sorry, the cables been turned off so there will be no game on tonight, but here's some chips and dip, and... we'll play Taboo in a few minutes!!"

It is always so much fun to see my girls! We sat in the dining room and giggled looking at OLD pictures from college while the guys were in the living room planted firmly in front of the game. It is rare that we can get them all willingly to participate in these little "couple" events, but after numerous emails and convincing... we did it. However, I'm no dumby... I didn't tell Jimmy we were playing games until RIGHT before they all walked in! I think Jill broke it to Will on the ride over :)

At one point, the guys must have counted to 3 and delivered, in unison, a mocking, gutteral laugh from the other room. Ironically, the stories and pictures we were all laughing and reminising about from college were before we knew and loved any of them... it's that weird!



Luckily, everything was fine and we actually talked them into one (very short) game of Taboo in between plays, timeouts, and commercial breaks. It was truly heartfelt on their parts. We, of course, had to strategically seat ourselves so that all 5 of the males had an unobstructive view of the TV! Needless to say, when it went into overtime, all bets were off... Taboo was over!

Aside from the girls discussion of the fact the Peyton Manning's wife, Ashley, was actually at the game and shown in the box with the fam and one little slip (I won't say who) asking "What does the SD (San Diego) stand for...South Dakota?" I think the boys really liked us being in there with them... yeah right!

Here are some pictures...

Jill, Iris, Leslie, and Sean's back and forehead :)

Ronnie and my honeyI actually learned to make sushi rolls on New Years Eve (thank you Janet) so this was a picture of the finished product... so good and easier to do than you think!Misty and Ted... back from Iowa!!! We missed them so much. We had to keep the door open most of the night for them because they were so hot! Imagine, less than a year in -20 degree weather and they can't take the January "heat" in Hixson anymore...

Leslie, Iris, and Ronnie watching intently. Again... the man without a face (and apparently with our dog on his head), is poor Sean!
Jill and Will- I don't think he even knew his picture was being taken!
Iris and Ronnie... so serious, must have been overtime. You notice, the Taboo timer has not moved... no "sands through the hourglass" happening during overtime!
I LOVE to watch Jill play... she is so animated and funny. You can tell, Will, is sittin on go with that buzzer!
I can't wait to do it again soon ladies!!

0 comments: