Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Prayer for Sherry

As I sit here right now typing, a very dear friend of our family, Sherry Campbell, is having the 2nd leg of her spinal fusion surgery. She went into the hospital on Monday morning and the doctors performed a 4 hour surgery to seperate her vertebrae and prepare for placing metal rods into her spine today. She has been in SICU ever since and as you can imagine in tremendous pain. Unfortunately, her pain and recovery has just begun. My prayer this morning is for her to find peace and minimal pain throughout this procedure and in the long days of recovery to come. She had no choice but to do this surgery. She has suffered with back pain and scoliosis for many years and would most likely have been crippled if she had chosen to put it off.

Sherry is like a second mother to me and her family has become like my own. We lived next door to them for 20+ years and their daughter, Christy, is one of my best friends. If you know her, you know she has spent the last 30 years taking care of her severly handicapped son. Just recently, she kissed her other son goodbye as he headed off to defend our country in the Navy (I can't imagine that!). Last February, her husband Steve, had a motorcycle accident and late in 2008 suffered a minor heartache. She has had her share of burdens and heartaches but you would never know it. She has a faith in God that is stronger than her pain and problems and has always trusted in him to see her through. I have no doubt he will see her through todays surgery and the long months of recovery that lay ahead.

I pray that her surgery is a success, her pain is minimal, that God guides the hands of the skilled surgeons and nurses that are taking care of her, and that he gives peace to her family and friends. Christy, being a nurse, I know struggles with having to watch while others take care of her in the hospital. She wants to be the one to tend to her mom as she has done for her all of her life. She has spent her life taking care of the those she loves, I hope she now can let them return the favor. Sherry, I know you will come through this like you have with everything else in your life, with grace and glory to God.

I love you all!
God Bless!

0 comments: