Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Thank you Uncle Olgie and Aunt Kadi

We had a very eventful day today. I first found Trace this morning in his crib COMPLETELY naked, diaper and all. He had been awake for about 45 minutes but he likes to sing and talk and have a little "me" time before actually beginning the day. Apparently somewhere in the midst of his "me" time he discovered how to undress himself. I knew it was coming because several mornings this past week, I have gone in to get him and found that his PJs were laying in the floor. I now know the real reason for the little tab that closes in front of the zipper at the top of the footed pajamas. I thought it was to protect their little faces from getting scratched by the zipper... nooo, it's so they can't unzip and climb out of their pjs without adult supervision.

The diaper laying beside him in the crib could have easily knocked a fully grown man to his knees, those morning diapers are like lethal weapons. Trace looked so proud of himself and greeted me with a big smile and a "hi mommy" the minute I walked in the room. He had that sly look on his face (a look I am starting to see more and more of) kinda like... "am I going to be in trouble for this?"

We headed off to the Creative Discovery Museum. My brother Andy (Trace calls him Olgie for some reason) and Aunt Kadi got us all passes for his birthday. Trace and Jimmy had never been. It was funny going back there with 1 child when you have been used to going with 20+ for years. I told my mom later that when I was teaching and would take my class there, I would always think, "OK, you moms and your little kids move out of the way, go play in the Little Yellow House, can't you see we are trying to educate future leaders here.

Now that I'm the mom and there with my little future leader, I found myself wondering " when can we come back when all of these school kids on field trips won't be here. They sure are big and take up a lot of room!" Boy, how times change... I guess I need the lesson in sharing more than Trace does.

We had a great time and although Trace was too small to do (and of course understand) everything, he loved running from room to room and touching EVERYTHING in sight.
We climbed the tower, something I never had the nerve to do with 20+ rough and rowdy first graders and looked out over Chattanooga. T was much more taken with the construction zone going on beside the Museum than the scenic overlook the tower provided.


After the museum we went to Genghis Grill (sp?) and had lunch. We filled our bowls FULL of all kinds of meats, veggies, rice and pasta. Trace ate... cheese. Of all the many choices I put on his plate, he ate 2 cupfuls of shredded cheddar cheese. I give up! The child probably won't poop for a week.

We had a wonderful family day. We loved the museum so much we talked about getting a yearly membership so we can go whenever we want to. Thanks Uncle Olgie and Aunt Kadi for the great gift. Next time, you'll have to come with us!

0 comments: