Tuesday, June 2, 2009

DIY

I have been wanting to do something "decorative" in the corner of my bedroom for, well... ever. You know when you stare at a bare wall (or in this case, a corner) for so long and one day you just can't take it anymore?

I've never claimed to be crafty or creative and am not a do-it-yourselfer... unless you consider walking into Kirklands, picking out a picture, then returning every week to see if it is sufficiently on sale enough to buy it, bring it home, unwrap it, hand it to Jimmy and tell him where to hang it... doing it yourself :)

But, I saw this idea on Kelly's Korner blog and really liked it. She did it in her dining room and used 12 pictures to fill up a huge wall.

I got on e-bay and ordered a set of botanical prints for about $15. I was going to buy mats at Hobby Lobby for $1 each but couldn't find the right color, instead I found these glass "floating" frames at Kohl's for 60% off!!! So for about $75, I got a set of 8 framed botanical pictures. Honestly, the hardest part was cutting the pictures into a 5X7 and getting them to stop "floating" in the floating frames. I was really excited about how they turned out.
The view from the bed... ahhhh, so much better than bare! If I try hard enough, I almost don't even see Ginger's hideous blue dog box that sits underneath them. I cropped that out of the picture for aesthetic purposes...lol!
You know I am a HUGE fan of the before and after shots, but resisted the urge to actually take a picture of my "before" blank wall... I figured you can just use your imagination.

I'm embarrassed to admit that on several occasions I tried to hang them myself, but, I must have missed the semester when they taught measurement in the 4th grade, because what Jimmy did in 15 minutes would have taken me hours! God knew what he was doing when I never had to teach above the 3rd grade... can you imagine those poor children!

I stood there dumbfounded not knowing where to begin and would have had lines and dots drawn all over the wall in the hopes of hanging them in a straight line and correctly spaced. So I guess I can't say it was a complete DIY project but I'll take the credit anyway... he's used to that!

1 comments:

Claire said...

Heidi,
Wow! It looks great. Very crafty and I LOVE the prints. I did something similar in our old house (dining room). I reprinted old black and white pictures of each of mine and Ryan's grandparent's when they were all in their twenties and had them made into 5x7s. I got mats and antique looking frames from Hobby Lobby when they were all on sale and did two rows of four pictures of all of the grandparents. You are right, hanging them is the hardest part.