Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to my wonderful hubby! I took this picture on the boat the other day and framed it for Jimmy for Father's Day.

For years I would pray to God for a husband that loved the Lord, his family, and that would be an amazing father... he truly answered my prayers!

I want to tell him, my dad, and my father-in-law how much you mean to me. The job you do as a father and an example to your children is one of the most important in the world. I have been so very blessed to have you all in my life... I love you more than words can say!

Father's Day has another special meaning to me now. Three years ago on Father's Day weekend, I suspected I was pregnant. It was the last weekend of Riverbend and we had a lot of plans, so I decided to try to put it out of my mind until Monday (yeah, right). I was so afraid I would be disappointed and it would ruin the weekend, so I promised myself I wouldn't take a test until Monday.

But then, Sunday afternoon, I started thinking this could really be real and how wonderful it would be to get to tell my husband that he was going to be a daddy on Father's Day. So... I made us some lame excuse to leave the house and go to Eckerds. He was glued to the TV watching the final round of the U.S. Open (much like he is right now) and didn't suspect a thing.

I came home, hid upstairs in the bathroom and took it. I laughed and cried at the same time when it IMMEDIATELY showed the word "pregnant". I had to hold on to the vanity for a minute to keep from falling over.

I got a bag and wrapped the test in it (yes, I dried it off first, yuck!) and gave it to Jimmy who was clueless I even suspected I was pregnant. We hugged, laughed, cried and honestly didn't know what to do next.

I thought to myself, I can't let this day go by without telling our dads. Not only did I get to tell Jimmy on Father's Day but we told both of our parents that they would be first time grandparents that night, something they had waited a long time to hear!!

That is something I will NEVER forget... what a blessing. I'm so glad I didn't wait until Monday to take the test! ha!

I heard my dad say a long time ago that he loved the saying, "Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away". So after the shock wore off, we jumped in the car and drove to the card store and found a sun catcher that had that phrase on it. We bought one of each of our parents.

I, then re-wrapped the pregnancy test and away we went, first to my parents, and then to Jimmy's. We had to stop on the way to Jimmy's parents at Eckerds again for me to tee-tee on another stick because the word "pregnant" had disappeared from the first test (we were going for the shock effect, plus I wanted to be sure in all the excitement it was actually true!)

The reactions of learning they were going to be grandparents where priceless. First, they opened the sun catcher and then the pregnancy test. It took a minute for either of them to figure out what in the world it was. Neither one had their glasses on and could decipher the word "pregnant" on the stick. (They both later admitted they thought we had given them a rectal thermometer for Father's Day ha!) There were many joyous tears shed that day!

Now, 3 Father's Days later we are so thankful for Trace and all that he means to this family! So this day has extra special meaning to me.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there who make such a difference in the lives of their children... even when we're all grown up!

2 comments:

Claire said...

I love your story about telling your parents about being pregnant. So typical, they need there glasses before they can look at anything. My parents often share one pair...hilarious that they thought it was a rectal thermometer.

Jen said...

I love this story! Knowing your parents and Jimmy's so well, I can just picture their faces when they got the news. I know it was a moment they had been dreaming about since about 30 seconds after you said, "I do!!" Trace is getting so big & is such a cutie!! I know y'all are getting excited about Andy's big day! Tell everyone hello for me & congrats! You had e-mailed me awhile back & said you couldn't leave a comment on my blog. I did some work to it (more difficult than it looked) so please try again. Hope to see you sometime soon!!