Sunday, October 12, 2008

Surprise, Surprise!

I love a good surpise... and today was a great one! We had my grandmother's 80th birthday party at Ichiban after church. It was a complete surprise, as you can see from the picture!
The world would be a much better place if everyone had a grandmother like my Nanny. She is the most amazing woman. She is the mother of 3, grandmother of 6, great-grandmother of 1, cherished sister, and friend to many. She was a loving wife to my grandfather for nearly 50 years and survived breast cancer just a few years ago. It only seemed fitting to celebrate this milestone and give thanks to God for these amazing 80 years. I have never met a sweeter, kinder person in my life. She loves her family more than anything and looks at us as if we do no wrong. If I had a dime for everytime someone in my family said, "Don't tell Nanny about ... she'll just worry". Maybe that's why she looks so amazing at 80!!
Bless her heart, she wore her little tiara the entire party even though I'm sure it messed up her "do". You know how women are about getting their hairdo. There were about 35 people there to celebrate with us. I had a few people comment that they could tell it was planned by a school teacher. Like the "perfectly" executed lesson plan, I was my typical anal self about having everything in perfect working order just like I had replayed it over in my mind. My teacher friends would laugh at this, knowing how obsessive I can be about the silliest things.
Get into room at 12:00 to decorate with cake, balloons, banner, and pictures... check
Everyone arrives at exactly 12:15... check, check
(Ichiban doesn't seat you until everyone is there)
Have mom and dad bring Nanny from church at 12:30 without her
recognizing any of the cars in the parking lot (she is a very sharp 80-year-old)...
check, check, check
My mom kept saying, "Heidi, it's OK if she's not really surprised, after all she's 80, how much surprise can her heart take?"

My Uncle Tommy greeting everyone and saying a few words about Nanny that made everyone cry, including her. It must feel so good to hear those sweet things come from your baby boy! I can only pray Trace feels that way about me someday! He did a great job! Here is Nanny with my mom, Uncle Tommy, and Aunt Patty. I can't believe in all the craziness, we didn't get a picture of the 4 generations together.

The only thing that would have made this day better, would have been for my Papaw to have been there. But I know he was smiling down on us from heaven, so proud of her and so happy we celebrated her wonderful life. My prayer is that she felt as special today as she has made me feel everyday of my life! I love you Nanny, Happy Birthday and many more! I'm already planning your 9oth :)

0 comments: