Friday, December 5, 2008

Back to the Past

Today, I traveled back to the past in two different ways. First, I went back to Woodmore Elementary to go on a field trip with my friends from school. One of my friends wasn't feeling well and asked if I could be "her" for the day and help take the 1st grade classes to Audobon Acres for their Christmas Past exhibit. Every year they do an exhibit showing life as Pioneers and how they celebrated Christmas. I was very excited about going and very honored they asked me.

So... in the bitter cold (it was 29 degrees when we boarded the bus!), bundled in long underwear, a fleece pullover, a HUGE puffer jacket, wool socks, hand warmers, and gloves we headed out. Throughout the morning, I found myself thinking back to when I did this routine everyday... before Trace. Did I enjoy getting up before the sun came up... no. Did I enjoy getting ready (meaning makeup, hair, and acceptable teacher attire) unlike my morning attire now at home of no makeup, except the mascara still under my eyes from the night before, ponytail, and bathrobe... no. Did I like eating my breakfast alone instead of sharing my waffle and biscuit with my cuddly toddler, running around in his footed pajamas with his bus hair standing straight up while watching Barney for the 4th time... no. Did I like driving in 30 degree weather across the dam in morning rush hour traffic... no.

But once I got there, I remembered what I do miss. The little faces of children that want to please you and are so thankful you're there, even if they don't say it or always show it. Hearing several beg me to sit with them on the bus when they met me only 15 minutes ago. Walking around in miserable temperatures and suddenly feeling a little frozen hand grab yours and squeeze it, only to look down to see the toothless, sweetest grin you've ever seen.

But the highlight of my day was when one little boy asked me if I was Mrs. White's mom!!! Mrs. White is a couple of years older than me, so that would make her mom... 60 at least!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I amped up my Wrinkle Repair cream when I got home and will be purchasing some more tomorrow. One day when I am Botoxing my "teacher wrinkles", oh, you know the ones between your eyes and across your forehead, from years of giving the "I know you didn't just do that!" or "Have you lost your mind?" look, I will silently be cursing 9 years of students that drove me to it. I think after today, I'm a little closer to the "big needle" than I thought!

I loved being with them and sharing their excitement of watching how rope is made, or how Pioneers washed their clothes and made their own soap. The kids giggled while they learned how to do dances the settlers did. I loved hearing the old couple sing and play old Christmas hymns on the banjo and guitar like "Away in a Manger" and "Silent Night". It really got me in the Christmas spirit. Once inside the old cabin that is there on the property, the people were showing the kids what life was like for the Pioneers and one was churning butter. She asked one little girl, "Do you churn butter?" and the little girl said simply, "Naw, we just buy ours at WalMart." Precious!

It was a really great day and I'm glad I got to spend it with the sweetest, more well behaved kids! It really does make me miss it sometimes, just knowing I was making a difference and contributing to the world in some way. But... home with Trace is where my heart is right now and I know I have very important work to do here too!

Thanks Penny, Lynda, and April for letting me share the day with you! I hope I get to do it again soon. You guys are amazing and those kids are so blessed to have you!

0 comments: