Friday, September 5, 2008

May-men... aka Amen

There are few things in this world more precious than hearing a child trying to say new words for the first time. Jimmy and I often talk in "Trace Language" without even realizing in. The other night while I was putting Trace to bed, we were saying our prayers together. As I concluded with "in God's name we pray... Amen," Trace lifted his head off my shoulder, pulls out his paci, and in the sweetest, softest voice I have ever heard said, "May-men". Talk about making a mamma cry. Since the day he was born, my prayer has been that he will come to know and love Jesus Christ and when he is old enough, to except him as his Lord and Savior. I'm sure it is every parents wish to know that they will spend eternity in heaven with their children. We take the responsibility of guiding his Christian walk very seriously as Jimmy and my parents did us. That, as his mother, is my greatest role. It may sound silly, knowing that an 18-month-old has no understanding of what Amen means, but it was if God was smiling down on us, again reminding me He is in control.

We buried a very close family friend today who lost his battle with cancer on Tuesday. As I sat listening to the pastor talk about what a Godly man Jim was, and that today he sits at Jesus' feet healthy and whole, it gave me peace and hope for the future. Bonnie, if you are reading this, know how special Jim was and that you and your family will continue to be in our prayers. Sometimes it takes someone we love passing or a simple sweet word from a baby to make you stop and remember what life is all about. And all of God's children said... "May-men".

1 comments:

Claire said...

Hello Heidi,
I got to your blog from Trinity's...talk about stalking! I am glad to see your cute little guy.

Love,
Claire